Sugar after surgery and hunger

MMoorehouse
on 12/5/14 11:30 pm

Hi all! I am trying to help my daughter get ready for her sleeve surgery in two weeks and trying to get everything we need together beforehand. My question is... she is supposed to avoid sugar but I noticed some of the highly recommended protein shakes and powders have some small amounts of sugar, usually they say 3 grams. Is that ok? How many grams of sugar is she allowed a day? I know sugar slows the weight loss. And then my other question is... will she be hungry? My father-in-law and a couple of other people say they do not get hungry and have to remember to eat because the grehlin (spelling?) is removed. Yet I see on the forum a lot of people are having hunger. Is that common? And what can I do to help her through that? And will that hunger go away? Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 1:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Out of curiosity - why are you doing this and not your daughter?  She's going to need to be proactive and her own health advocate.  It's great that you want to help, but she needs to be involved in all of these things and making her own decisions.  

She should ask her surgeon what sugar recommendation they've got for her.  

Most of the time hunger post-op is from stomach acid and taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium alleviates all of the hunger.  Hunger can also be "head hunger" - i.e., not real, just our brains telling us that we want to eat when we don't actually need to eat.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

aharris30
on 12/6/14 1:48 am, edited 12/6/14 1:50 am
VSG on 05/13/14

My mom did the same for me, not that I was not proactive she just wanted to help too. Just because the daughter is not posting this does not mean she is inactive. There are other forums and outlets to receive information and not everyone may be a member to this site. Anyway, my mom bought me all kinds of protein shakes that were low in carbs such as the one's your suggestion (pure protein, atkins,  and premier). Problem was I couldn't tolerate anything sweet after surgery. Protein shakes, propel, sf jello, even flavored water. Yucky!  From day 1 I just stuck to plain water. I think the protein shakes you are mentioning are just fine. My doc wanted me to stay less than 25g of carbs (and sugars) a day. As far as the hunger thing I didn't have that at the beginning. If I did I was told to keep pushing fluids. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part. But as gwen mentioned above sounds correct.

MMoorehouse
on 12/6/14 3:56 am

Thank you both for the information. My daughter is very excited about her surgery but super busy preparing for finals so I told her I would help gather anything I could that might help. Her doctor is going to have her use a PPI afterward so it is good to know that will help. We've not had the pre-op meeting yet so maybe he will tell us what we need to know about the sugars. I know the high protein and low carb from the dietician's class but we don't remember a specific number for sugars. I know sugar is likely to make her sick afterward so we want to avoid that as much as possible, I was just concerned to see some grams of sugar in some things that are for bariatric patients. We ordered samples of the various protein shakes and powders in various flavors so she can see what she likes after she has surgery before we invest in a whole bunch that she can't tolerate. :)

Gwen M.
on 12/6/14 4:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sugar isn't likely to make VSGers sick post-op, that's an RNY thing.  The sugar listed in (most) protein powders isn't added sugar, like sugar or corn syrup.  It's the same as the sugars you'd find in milk or other dairy.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 12/6/14 5:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

sugar is a carb so it will fall under the total amount allotted for carbs for the day/meal. 

frisco
on 12/6/14 6:30 am
On December 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM Pacific Time, MMoorehouse wrote:

Thank you both for the information. My daughter is very excited about her surgery but super busy preparing for finals so I told her I would help gather anything I could that might help. Her doctor is going to have her use a PPI afterward so it is good to know that will help. We've not had the pre-op meeting yet so maybe he will tell us what we need to know about the sugars. I know the high protein and low carb from the dietician's class but we don't remember a specific number for sugars. I know sugar is likely to make her sick afterward so we want to avoid that as much as possible, I was just concerned to see some grams of sugar in some things that are for bariatric patients. We ordered samples of the various protein shakes and powders in various flavors so she can see what she likes after she has surgery before we invest in a whole bunch that she can't tolerate. :)

Compliments to you for being part of your daughters "Team" !!!

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork !!!!!!!!!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tealeyes
on 12/6/14 4:03 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I just want to applaud you for all you are doing to make your daughters Surgery a success.  I think it is wonderful that you are showing so much support . She is a lucky girl !

Spencerella
on 12/6/14 5:01 am, edited 12/6/14 6:06 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Good for you for being so proactive and supportive. I had the surgery myself and then supported my daughter  after her surgery as well. I certainly couldn't do the work for her, but she has told me and others that I've been instrumental in her success. Your daughter is lucky to have you in her life!  

I think there is a family members forum on here as well - not sure how active it is but it might be worth a look. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

C. Wood
on 12/6/14 9:50 pm

First, good job being a  strong support figure for your daughter. My mom has been my support group as well and though I'm typically very independent, there are times it is nice to know someone is there when I need it. 

As far as sugar, you cannot avoid it completely, and most protein shakes are going to have some. My program called for "no added sugar"

Most Active