Late 3rd Anniversary Post (long)

Mike B.
on 12/14/14 8:35 am
My actual surgiversay was on 12/9, but I wanted to wait until today to post for a specific reason. You see, I started running after surgery, and today, I ran another 1/2 marathon, my 6th official one (I run this distance in training often). I have also completed 2 full marathons.

This one was special for a few reasons. It is a race that if you do 3 years in a row, you join the "penguin club." Today, I reached that goal, and set a personal record. I ran this race with a time of 1:46. This was 5 minutes faster than my previous record. I also ran this race 2 years ago on the actual 1st anniversary of my surgery. To say it has been an amazing 3 years would be an understatement. Oh, I also did a special challenge this year by running the 5K yesterday, and the 1/2 today. For my efforts, I also earned a golden snowflake medal. I ran the 5K in 22 minutes flat which was good enough for a 4th place finish in my age group.

Over the past three years there have been many amazing NSV's that are not running related as well. I find that I am willing to park farther out in parking lots because walking doesn't bother me. Attending the OH conferences for the past two years and participating in the fashion show was nice, and being able to have the energy to keep up with my grandchildren when we get to visit is great. There are of course many more, but I'm not trying to write a book.

Another cool thing has happened, my DW Linda B and I are fill in leaders for our support group when our regular leader needs to be away (this has happened the past 4 months). Most of the people who come are Kaiser Options patients who must attend a support group prior to surgery. It is great to have a forum where they can ask questions. We mention OH, and even had some team members come up to be guest speakers a couple of months ago.

Now has everything gone perfectly, no. I do still have my struggles with food. I am grateful that restriction reminds me that eating to much is painful. Sometimes I want just one more bite, this is usually not a good decision. Even this far out, I am still learning.

I am blessed that there are those here on OH who have answered my questions, encouraged me along the way, and who have also held me accountable when I needed it.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Gwen M.
on 12/14/14 9:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations on all of your wonderful successes!  You should be super proud of yourself and all that you've accomplished :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

frisco
on 12/14/14 11:10 am

So AWESOME Mike !!!!

I love how you and Linda have embraced your improved life with such vigor !!!

Your support group is very lucky to have such great leadership !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/14 2:52 pm

Congrats on a fantastic 3 years! It is inspiring to me how both you and Linda have grabbed this new life by the .... and have transformed yourselves into active and athletic individuals!

Keep it up for ever and ever!

You just rock this thing!

happyteacher
on 12/14/14 10:36 pm

Super cool! You are  a model patient and inspiration for all! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Luvmygs
on 12/15/14 1:55 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Mike, so good to hear success stories especially me just being 10 days post-op and struggling with liquids. This gives me incentive. Congratulations, you should be VERY proud of yourself. Christine

Tracy D.
on 12/15/14 2:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congratulations on a fantastic 3 years, Mike!    And you are a FAST runner - whew! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views