My mom thinks I'm losing weight too fast?

Carolyn W.
on 12/17/14 3:45 am

Hey everyone. I had my surgery on September 29th, 2014. On September 22nd, I weighed 212. Today I am almost 3 months out and I weigh 155. Is that normal? Am I losing too fast/too slow? I don't really know how much I'm supposed to be losing in this amount of time. I don't feel malnourished and if anything I feel like sometimes I overeat a little. Is 57 pounds in 3 months good?

hollykim
on 12/17/14 3:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

that is 19 # a month or 4.7 # a week. No,it is not too fast,it is awesome. 

happyteacher
on 12/17/14 4:00 am

You are doing fantastic- not too fast. Just keep track of your labs, and hit your daily nutritional targets... i.e. get your protein in, take your vitaman with iron and calcium supplements, get your fluids in...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 4:01 am

I think you're fine. I lost 45 pounds in the first 3 months post op (but I had already lost about 20 pre op) so that's about 65 pounds total at 3 months post op.

There is no good or bad about weight loss rates. Some people lose faster than others. Just the way it is. You seem to be a fast loser. For a guy, I'm a slow loser. As long as you get where you want to be it doesn't really matter how quickly you get there.

Just make sure you are getting all your macro nutrients and your vitamins. You'll be fine. Your mom will get used to your new weight soon enough. BTW, there is no evidence to show that rapid weight loss while maintaining proper nutrition has any ill effects on the body. Rapid weight loss with mal nutrition can be devastating to the system.

GooseGirl
on 12/17/14 4:19 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I don't think you are losing weight too fast. To reassure your mother, I would probably call the surgeon and verify with them. Then you call tell your mom that the doctor isn't worried about it. Hopefully that will give her some comfort. Speaking as a mom, it's hard not to worry too much about our babies :) 

Stacy_WLS
on 12/17/14 4:31 am

You are doing great.  If you are concerned, I would ask your surgeon.  But really -- take it while you can.  It gets harder to lose the further out you are.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Zee Starrlite
on 12/17/14 4:57 am

As long as you are getting your protein, water and supplements in.  You will be fine.  Take advantage of this time.

And you've had weight loss surgery - odd that your mom doesn't get that that was the plan.  Take it while you got it honey - wi**** were me !!!  A couple of months and even more so a couple of years out and you really will be able to eat and then have to work hard with food and weight.

You will be fine.  Just take good care of yourself.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Karen H.
on 12/17/14 5:02 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I am one week post op. My surgeon told me yesterday to expect to lose 1-5 lbs per week. So, looks like you are right in that range. Congrats!

frisco
on 12/17/14 5:25 am

It sounds like an indicator that you have a very healthy and active metabolism !!!

A good thing !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Bob-47
on 12/17/14 6:09 am

I will be 5 months out on Dec. 30th and have lost a total of 88 pounds so far.I was also worried I was losing too fast but my doc say's I'm  fine and blood work supports it. Be grateful for losing at a nice clip. I am sure you are following your program and exercising . This has worked for me. Keep up the good work.    

Most Active