5 months out and travel is awesome

ElizaM
on 12/24/14 9:46 am
VSG on 07/24/14

For the past eight years, my family has skipped the gifts and the tree and all that and gone on a cool trip instead. Last couple years we just keep coming back to Puerto Rico. I am approx 145 lbs lighter than I was last year on this trip and boy, everything is so much more comfortable, easy and fun. Flying, obviously, is so much more comfortable. Even just walking through an airport is a breeze. I'm amazed sometimes how much I soldiered on through physical misery at my heaviest. I was pretty cranky a lot of the time and I totally get why. But I also was pretty tough.

I'm always so happily surprised at how easy it is to eat well, meet my nutritional needs, and truly enjoy my food while I travel. Today I had oysters topped with caviar as my dinner. The other day I had three perfect peel and eat shrimp for lunch. Because I eat so little, it's either a bargain to feed me or like I get a free upgrade. But it's also easy and practical to find basics that work for me and so I'm always covered. I thought travel would be challenging but it's no sweat.

That's sort of a recurring theme for me. As I've hit my stride, I'm struck by how easy things are. I've been able to move past a few issues and since then things just clicked. Some my relatives assumed that my life was really complicated and that life after surgery is nothing but trials and tribulations but that has not been my experience at all. I know what I can eat and what I choose not to eat. I have an eating routine that is flexible enough to accommodate travel but reliable enough to keep me on track. I hope I'm not jinxing things but I feel like my post sleeve way of life is extremely sustainable.

I'm so close to moving into normal size range. I've gone from a 32 to 16/18 and XL or XXL. I was sort of crazily hoping I would hit 200lbs lost this year but I think it might have to wait for 2015. I'm looking forward to weighing myself after my vacation: not a phrase I ever thought I'd utter.

Well, Feliz Navidad to everyone who celebrates it and here's to 2015!

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Diesel_911
on 12/24/14 9:56 am

congratulations ! I am very happy for you and this new life you have... enjoy every minutes of it.. happy holidays ;)

jubjub
on 12/24/14 7:32 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Amazing journey!  Keep up the good work - 200 lbs will be here in no time with the path you're on.  I too love to travel, and one thing that drove me to surgery was fear of not being able to do so (and have fun).  Every trip on the plane feels like a first class upgrade now - even in coach!

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Thebiggestloser
on 12/25/14 7:15 am
VSG on 11/19/14 with

Almost 200lbs is AMAZING! You look so beautiful - keep up the hardwork!

lianna
on 12/25/14 10:05 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

That is awesome! Hard work, great payoff.   I hope you have a Merry Christmas too!

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Most Active