I'm new (kinda) And wanna say hi.....

susanc_2010
on 1/4/15 7:16 pm - Hamilton, NY

I am new and wanted to say hi. I have been through this process since 2009 i keep getting to the brink and then back out and dont get it done.... I am now 27, I have a 2 and a half yr old son and this is the last time im doing this process. I started at 336 and  am now down to 304. I meet with the nurse tomorrow and have to still meet with psych I think that is it though and then they will put me in their discussion to get approved.... I'm trying my hardest but I wanted to know what can I expect? What can I do now? should I didet more and exercise hard till my surgery date? or.....? I've never made it to this point..... anyone.... please help..... 

The most important of life's battles is the one we fight daily in the silent chambers of the soul.

Daelcare
on 1/4/15 9:12 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Welcome!  When I decided to have my surgery, I made the decision at the first doctor appointment that this was it...I was starting my new life right then and there and not when the surgery actually happened (whenever that was going to be).  I cold-turkeyed the diet Cokes (my go-to drink for years) and did the 4 things that my NUT said to.  

• No drinking with meals (got the Bariatric Timer app to tell me when 30 minutes was up)
  • 3 ounces of protein 3 times a day...first!
  • 64 ounces of water...or more
  • Exercise 3 days a week 10 minutes a day (I joined a gym and went an hour a day...still do!)

I did only those things for the 6 weeks prior to my surgery and lost 20 pounds!  After surgery, I still went to the gym everyday and walked as much as I could (2 days post-op that was only a lap and then a rest and then another lap)...by the 3 week mark I was doing 16 laps (about a mile and half) in 30 minutes.  When the doctor said I could go back to the gym, I slowly built back up to where I had been before surgery and have passed that mark now.  10 weeks out today and down 46 pounds!

You can do this...for yourself and you son...you will not regret it!!  I will be praying for you...best of luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Bufflehead
on 1/4/15 9:45 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I found the most helpful changes I made pre-surgery were behavioral changes that didn't directly involve reducing calories or adding exercise or trying to meet a weight loss goal. They gave me a good foundation for after surgery, without the stress of trying to succeed with a diet. The changes I made were per my team's suggestions and included:

• creating an account on MyFitnessPal and tracking everything I ate
  • Weighing or measuring all portions so that my tracking was accurate
  • Focusing on protein first at meals
  • No drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after
  • Cutting out all soda (diet and regular) and any other drinks bought as "takeaway" type items (i.e. no more Starbucks)
  • Making sure I got at least 64 oz of fluids per day
  • No eating while standing up
  • No eating with a lighted screen where I can see it (don't eat at the computer, don't eat in front of the tv, don't eat and text at the same time - phone is off while eating!).
  • Eat slowly - I used the Eat Slower app and set it to chime every 45 seconds when I was allowed another bite of food.

Good luck to you!

tpruner
on 1/4/15 9:46 pm

Welcome Susan, I just got my sleeve 12/29/2014. I am 1 week out. I am very happy I got the sleeve. I first went through the "process" in approx. 2009. At that time I only had 2 options bypass or lap band with my doctor. I didn't like the thought of not only losing most of my stomach but "bypassing some of the intestines." I felt I will need my intestines for digestion, if not now as I age, so I went with the lap band. I had it in for almost 5 yrs. with little to no success. In August of 2014 I had it removed and decided to get the sleeve when my MD told me about this option he was now performing with similar results as the bypass. I went through the process and in the 1st week I am already seeing a big difference. I think joining the available forums with other sleevers helps a lot. There is a lot of info and shared experiences that have been very helpful. I follow MD orders to the "T" and incorporate others advice and experiences to help me with my journey.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/4/15 9:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You are going through the same things as the rest of us. Most of us start and stop the process a couple of times before going through with it. And later we all say we wish we had done it sooner.

You got great advice above. I think that getting a really good running start going into surgery will make you more successful.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SimplySheavon
on 1/4/15 11:33 pm

Hi Susan! I am 27 with a two year old also. I am new here but am hoping to be scheduled for surgery end of January or beginning of February. I have heard so many success stories from VSG that I really feel comfortable. Starting today I am trying to watch what I eat (keep track of calories) and just be aware of what I am eating and my feelings about food. I am really working to prepare myself for the head game after surgery. I have heard that the book the emotional first aid kit is a really great resource for wls. I am also just trying to get out and walk a mile a day, just to incorporate some exercise now. I think you are doing great with your progression. If you would like a buddy or have any questions I am happy to try and help! Congratulations on getting this far! Sheavon

wyo_sarah
on 1/4/15 11:55 pm

I had a 6 month program I had to complete before I had surgery.  Mostly, I had the same advice already listed above with one more, that I think is really, really important.  My team required that in addition to tracking my food, exercising, not drinking with meals, etc, that I also stop snacking.  That was one of the hardest things for me to do.  My plan requires 3 meals a day and after the first 6 months with protein drinks between meals, nothing at all except those 3 meals.  They explained that even after getting a sleeve, if a person snacks or "grazes" they can still eat too many calories and start to gain the weight back.   That was my biggest and most difficult change.  And, now at 5 months post op, I still struggle with not taking a bite here or there.

Gwen M.
on 1/5/15 1:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you met with a nutritionist yet?  I think that would answer a lot of your questions about what to do at this point.  

2.5 months pre-op, I started swapping out meals that I ate by myself (breakfast and lunch most days) with a protein shake.  This worked well for me to get me in the right mindset.  I think that it would have been a good idea to start walking pre-op, but I didn't.  

Good luck!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenn1469
on 1/5/15 7:37 am

Well to be honest I ate like there was no tomarrow because I didn't have to do a pre surgery diet.  My mind set was what if I can never eat it again. Luckley I only gained 5 pounds. But since surgery I have eaten to plan I cheated with xmas but that's about it. It has been 7 mos and I'm doing great I'm now a size 3 and I actually feel sexy.  I love shopping now when before I use to cry in the dressing room. You no some on here say if you don't practice before surgery you wont do good. But I have done great.

GOOD LUCK!!!! DONT BACK OUT THIS TIME DO IT FOR YOUR BABY

Jennifer

BuckeyeGirl
on 1/6/15 3:29 am - TN

Hello!

I think you've already gotten some awesome advice and I just wanted to chime in and say that I totally agree that it would be great to start making changes now. I didn't really have any pre-op weight loss to speak of before my sleeve and I remember I had total ticker envy seeing those that had achieved some great loss before surgery. If you can get yourself closer to your goal with some pre-op work, you will be so happy you did!

My starting weight was 304 as well (highest ever 318) and my goal is just a bit above yours, so your note struck a chord with me.

Best,

Lindsey

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views