Home from a major road trip

Linda B.
on 1/9/15 4:00 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Mike B & I took a major road trip over our Christmas break. We hit the road the Sunday before Christmas, and just got home Wednesday night. We were in nine different states, and three time zones. What does this have to do with WLS??? Well, before we parted ways with several pounds, we would have not had the energy for this kind of a trip.

We stopped in Montana to visit his cousin first. We had planned on a ski day, but it just didn't work out. But, Mike went for a run along the Madison River while I played with the kids. We had a nice, but short visit as we were on a mission. To be with our grandchildren for Christmas and my birthday (the next day), so we hit the road for North Dakota.

Now, I don't think anyone understands cold until you have been to North Dakota in the winter. Since we no longer have a lot of body fat, well, let's just say we were grateful for high tech long johns. We had the energy to endure Christmas chaos with four grandchildren and a niece. The only real disappointments were the visit was to short, and I still have not been able to build a snowman with the kids. This trip, not enough packable snow, and my daughter won't let the kids go outside to play if it is colder than -10. We did hit a gym in a neighboring town because it was to cold and icy for Mike to run. We also hit an ice rink twice so I could work with the kids to improve their skating skills, and get a little exercise myself.

On New Years Day, we hit the road again, this time to our son's new place in Colorado. We did manage a ski day, and I got to skate on Keystone lake, my favorite place to hit the ice. However, this time Mike hit the ice, a lot. He kept trying fancy tricks, and the resulting falls banged him up a bit.

But now, back to reality. We both gained six pounds while we away, but it is a manageable number to get rid of. We did eat off plan for most of our trip, we took as much of our own food as we could, but when you are shopping in a very rural area where most people live on junk, finding VSG friendly food is quite a challenge. Not to mention, it is harder to stay active when it is -20 outside. So, now we have restocked the fridge with our normal staples. We will increase out protein, water, and activity to make sure the six pound gain does not become a bigger number.

Well, I know this was long, but it is good to check in.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Mary Gee
on 1/9/15 4:50 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Wow, that sounds like a great trip!  Six pounds should be do-able now that you're back home and have restocked the fridge and have a plan.  The trip is over and back on track for the two of you.

Spending time with the family is wonderful - glad you had the opportunity to do so during the holidays.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 1/11/15 8:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome back!  I'm sure a lot of the "weight" isn't real weight.  It's most likely jus****er.  It'll come off quickly!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views