Before and After eating....

Jack Allen
on 1/11/15 11:15 pm - Leesburg, VA

One of the things I'm looking forward to with the VSG is the smaller amounts you can possibly eat.  I was explain to my kids the differences if before and after eating.

I told them right now I could eat a whole box of oreo cookies, (approx. 30) no problem.  I told them in the future (a few months after surgery) I could probably eat 4-5 tops (not that Im going to be eating cookies just a good food they can understand).

What's the real story of before and after VSG tell me your worst and best.

Right now I could eat 2-3 cups of peanut butter I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. iM HOPING AFTER I CAN ONLY EAT 1 tablespoon at a time.

Enlighten me.

Elizabeth C.
on 1/11/15 11:25 pm - Mansfield, TX

I am 2 months out and yes, I can't eat a lot, but I'm not trying to.  From what I hear, if you keep trying, eventually you will win... eat around your sleeve.  At Christmas I had a piece of fudge and it tasted great!  To great, so I had a second piece and just one bite made me feel so sick!

I love peanut butter too!!!  I have ate 2 TBSP as a snack or meal in a hurry, but it has to many carbs to be something that I would consume more than once a day (if that).  But the 2 TBSP was all I needed to satisfy my hunger.

My goals per day are to have less than 40 carbs, at least 80 g of protein, 65+ oz of fluids, take all my vitamins and exercise.  Since I have started logging everything using the Fat Secret app, it has made it much easier to see what I am putting in my body.  I normally stay around 20 carbs. I finally feel GREAT!!!  The first week was horrible!!!  the second was a little better... then I felt kind of blah for the next several months, but since I've been consistantly meeting my goals every day I feel great!  Imagine that... sticking to the plan and feeling great and seeing results... who would have thought? ;)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

mmsmom
on 1/11/15 11:28 pm - Woburn, MA

Within weeks after surgery I couldn't even finish a small yogurt.  Now almost 9months out I can eat 1/2-to 3/4 cup of steel cut oats or a whole 5 oz yogurt.  The best part for me is that I rarely truly get hungry.  At dinner 2-3 oz of protein is very filling.  Until recently I did have trouble with any refined sugar - it went right through me with terrible consequences.  However, over Christmas apparently that went away -not sure if this is good or not, lol.  The desire to eat poorly has diminished for me since I don't want to undo all my good work.  It is truly motivating.

Good luck on your journey.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Jack Allen
on 1/11/15 11:41 pm - Leesburg, VA

That's what I'm talking about - Within weeks after surgery I couldn't even finish a small yogurt....The best part for me is that I rarely truly get hungry.

I can't wait for that to happen to me!!!!!

At work I usually take a 10-12 oz yougurt which by lunch is almost liquid and I just turn it up and drink it like a drink. I literally can't wait to drink one and halfway through feel that I am full.

Thanks.

hollykim
on 1/11/15 11:46 pm, edited 1/11/15 11:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM Pacific Time, Jack Allen wrote:

One of the things I'm looking forward to with the VSG is the smaller amounts you can possibly eat.  I was explain to my kids the differences if before and after eating.

I told them right now I could eat a whole box of oreo cookies, (approx. 30) no problem.  I told them in the future (a few months after surgery) I could probably eat 4-5 tops (not that Im going to be eating cookies just a good food they can understand).

What's the real story of before and after VSG tell me your worst and best.

Right now I could eat 2-3 cups of peanut butter I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. iM HOPING AFTER I CAN ONLY EAT 1 tablespoon at a time.

Enlighten me.

the truth of the matter,for me,is that 5 years after WLS,I COULD still eat a pack of Oreos. The reason is that they are slider foods,they mush up to nearly nothing,as soon as they hit your mouth where digestion starts. By the time they reach your sleeve,they are nearly liquid. Liquids take up way less roomin our sleeves than dense solids like meat,so there is way more room for carby things. 

In addition.liquids go right they the pyloric valve ,that opens into your intestines.  So that means ,Oreos are not staying inyour sleeve long at all. 

Alas,nearly the same with peanut butter,largely due to the high sugar content of it. Also since it is basically puréed,you don't even. Get the fiber benefit of the peanuts,so there you go. A LOT of peanut butter can go down before you really feel full.

edited to add...if you want to show your children the effects of WLS on your stomach,get a half gallon plastic container to represent your stomach now, and a very small very skinny banana to represent your sleeve.

Jack Allen
on 1/11/15 11:50 pm - Leesburg, VA

Very good to know. Good idea analogy I will show my kids that.

Tracy D.
on 1/12/15 12:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If peanut butter is that big of a trigger for you I would advise you to get it OUT of your house because one of these days you will be able to eat more...and you WILL eat more of it!  Promise.  

One way I found to take the "fun" out of peanut butter is to only buy the 100% natural kind that has to be stirred up and stored in the fridge.  Our consumption of peanut butter (my husband is sleeved too) plummets when I only buy this kind.  Peanut butter is a big trigger for him too.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Stacy_WLS
on 1/12/15 1:10 am

Also PB2 is a great subsitute for peanut butter.  It isn't quite as good, but gives me the feeling of it for 1/4 the calories :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Stacy_WLS
on 1/12/15 12:19 am

BE CAREFUL *****

the junk foods you really can eat a lot of.  The restriction kicks in when you eat meat & vegetables.  The sleeve will not do the work for you, but it makes it possible.  

I have not tried w/ cookies / popcorn / chips b/c I just don't want to open that door, but w/ ice cream for example, I can eat a whole carton.  

Eat good foods -- use the two months or so right after surgery to retrain yourself.  Junk food really has to stay AWAY. One bite is too much and no amount is ever enough!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Jack Allen
on 1/12/15 12:25 am - Leesburg, VA

Thanks. I've already started now to retrain myself.  Cookies are a HUGE downfall for me, so I will just stay away from them. Once I get on a roll I can stick to the plan for a long time.  So I know the sleeve will help but I just gotta stick to the plan.

Most Active