Mt Dew

Tina W.
on 1/14/15 5:35 pm - Pasadena, MD

Oh how I loved Mt Dew. There were days, pre-op, that I ran solely on Mt Dew, 5 hour energy and nicotine. Can't imagine why I weighed almost 400lbs LOL. I had my last Mt Dew two weeks before my VSG (March 2014). Today my mom brought home a Mt Dew for each of my kids and there was some in a bottle sitting on the table. Figured I'd give it a try.

Now, I know they tell you before surgery that your tastes will change. They said things wouldn't taste the same. You would like different things, etc. I didn't believe them. I picked up the bottle and was actually a little excited to give it a try. I didn't plan to take more than a drink but I just wanted that one drink, for old time sake.

Dear sweet 8 pound baby Jesus it was horrible. How in the world I ever drank even one of those a day, much less multiples, I do not know.

Obviously my tastes have changed. Things I used to crave, and couldn't imagine doing without, I barely give a second thought now. I wonder if it's an actual change in taste, or that I've just gotten used to things with a much lower sugar content so sweet foods taste way too sweet, or if it's phychological and they taste "bad" because I just know I shouldn't have them.

Mary Gee
on 1/14/15 6:45 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Well, I'm glad you didn't like it - it could have opened a dangerous door for you! Trouble can start with a sip of this or a taste of that. There are certain foods I just have to steer clear of, and certain foods I've found enjoyable replacements for. Danger lurks around every corner! 😉

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

StephK10
on 1/14/15 8:53 pm

Your "dear sweet 8 pound baby Jesus" line made me laugh so much! :)  

Glad to know you didn't like it!  My dad is a Sundrop drinker (we're southern) and at Christmas, he always had one.  I took a sip of one when he opened it... man, those used to taste so good!... but this time, I just thought "eh...doesn't really do it for me."  

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

TheNewT
on 1/14/15 10:20 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I should have purchased stock I drank so much Mt Dew. I haven't had one and I know it is one of those things that I have to avoid forever. It was a blood sugar raising good time while it lasted. Now it is time for me to enjoy a beverage I avoided while putting away soda...lovely, cool, refreshing water!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views