Special K with protein

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/13/15 1:44 am - MI

Yesterday I met with my nutrionist and I still can't have any bread type products. I was inquiring about the protein lavash & protein flat outs. She wants me to wait until I'm six months out. I asked about high protein Special K & she did say I could have 1/2 cup  with just enough milk to get it slightly wet. What a treat this morning!! I loved crunching!!

I can't remember which member posts about "special K high protein" on the "what are you eating today" posts but I'm so glad they did because it reminded me to ask my NUT about it!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/15 2:29 am
Thought I'd post the nutrition stats so folks could see what you're talking about.
Tracy D.
on 1/13/15 2:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Back when I was in weight loss mode, 19 carbs for a bit of crunch would have been way too much for me - it would have been half my daily carb intake.  You might as well be eating Fruit Loops or any other sugared cerela.  Just because they slap the word "protein" on there doesn't mean it's a good choice.  

Unfortunately, cereal was a food I would overeat if there was nothing else availble - with or without the sugar.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/15 3:23 am

I don't like the carb level for myself, personally, either. However, it's all about making informed choices.I can see how this product might fit into a person's WL plan if used sparingly (by the TBS would work for me or even a 1/4 cup). I've never been a cereal abuser. Plenty of other foods, but not cereal. I could probably learn to though! LOL!

I always get a kick out of commercial jerkies. So many of them use so much sugar in the flavoring that the carb levels are amazingly high for the amount of protein per serving. The only one I would eat during WL was Jack Link's and at that it was a "treat". I know others who eat tons of jerky and don't understand why their WL stalls out. I'm like, "Uh.... have you checked the number of carbs in that jerky?" Several people have replied that jerky doesn't have carbs - it's meat.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/13/15 3:49 am - MI

Cereal was never my thing either but it sure tasted good this morning! My carb intake is fairly low so this option is okay for me.

I can't get into the jerkey! Maybe it's an acquired taste! I just know I don't like it!

Whats your go to snack for a protein punch??

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/15 5:01 am

I tend to eat more meal like things through out the day. A typical day for me now is a protein coffee followed by a hard cooked egg and some meat at 10:00 am. Then I have lunch around noon with 3 oz of meat and some veggies. Then I'll eat another meal thing around 3, a protein snack (either a shake or some jerky) with maybe a small, small apple post work out. Then dinner will be a repeat of lunch. Sometime during the day I will get a greek yogurt in, too.

Back at your stage it was pretty different. I looked back and a typical day for me was this:

wake up: protein coffee

10:00: two slices of deli turkey with ranch Greek Yogurt spread

lunch - 2 oz of meat and about 2 TBS veggie

afternoon - 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt or a hard cooked egg

dinner - repeat of lunch

evening snack - usually more yogurt. Sometimes jerky, but mostly yogurt.

Wtloss
on 1/13/15 2:09 pm

What is protein coffee?  Sounds good

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/15 2:16 pm

I make very strong coffee and cool it down to 130 degrees F with some ice and then add a scoop of GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate flavor protein powder. I often have it just like that, but if i want it richer and sweeter (more like a mocha type drink) I add 1/4 unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a "pump" of SF Vanilla Bean Torani Syrup. I have had this coffee every morning for the past 3 years. LOVE IT!

Wtloss
on 1/13/15 2:25 pm

Thank you Kairk!  I will try it. 

Dan1962
on 1/13/15 7:32 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I use Kay's Naturals.  I too wanted to chunch something.  It has two more grams of protein (still has 19 grams of carbs) so with milk its equivalent to a couple of eggs (protein wise).  When I eat it I plan the rest of my day to be very low carb.

Most Active