Pre-op diet question, and after care advice needed.

southernstitcher
on 1/14/15 12:45 am

My daughter, almost 23 yrs old,  is scheduled for surgery on 3/2.  Included in the fee is the pre-op diet kit, consisting only of bars and shakes - no meals allowed.  In 2014 she started a gluten free diet to help with her IBS, and it's working for that.  She is health conscious now like never before, and using her Ninja I gave her for Christmas making berry/kale smoothies.  I wasn't going to agree to pay for the surgery till I saw some actual change, and she's proven that.   She still has to see the psych and do the pre testing, but her surgeon thinks she's a good candidate. 

She weighs a little over 300#, and she was already diagnosed with enlarged fatty liver 2 years ago when she was smaller by about 30 lbs, upon having gall bladder removal. 

My main question is, she is saying that she doesn't see the harm in every once in a while to make a berry/kale smoothie to supplement the pre-op diet stuff, only if she feels she needs it.  She only does berries in these, not banannas or other high carb fruits.  I told her she shouldn't do this at all.  I hate to ask the nutritionist at the docs office, because I don't want to interfere too much.  She says she'll ask them, but in the meantime, am I freaking out too much here?  The doc says only very very small percentage of his patients cannot have the surgery once they are "in there" due to an enlarged liver. 

Thanks so much for helping a nervous Mom!  Any other "caregiver" post op advice would be appreciated!! 

Tracy D.
on 1/14/15 12:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm the mother of two adult daughters also and my advice to you is "butt out" and keep your mouth shut.  Are you freaking out too much?  Probably.  As parents, we always want to cushion our children's falls but it ends up stealing the lesson away from them.  Do NOT - I repeate DO NOT - steal the lesson from your daugther about this.  

She has said she'll ask her doc's office about the shakes (just FYI - smoothies post-op are a HORRIBLE idea!  Even with berries the carb count is a killer).   Trust that she'll follow through.  If she doesn't, then she needs to suffer the negative consequences.  Surgery gets cancelled?  Too bad, so sad - you did it to yourself.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/14/15 1:20 am

I'm posting on this because I am 27 and SUPER close with my parents. They're extremely supportive, my mom has a ton of questions, they've done their research and every once in a while, they bring up something that I don't know the answer to so I ask my nurse practitioner and then we ALL learn about it. It's great because I am 100% spearheading this but they could not be more helpful to me. I will also be recovering at my parent's house since I'm single and don't have roommates. 

That being said, when I was 19, I had the Lap-band. My mom was also getting it 3 months after me. She literally did everything for me. I went into my appointments alone, but she made sure I had all my pre-op work done, she asked the questions, she took over. 

That was not a positive experience for me in the end (the LB was simply not my tool and I was in a different place mentally). But it did not help that my mom was doing all the work for me. I honestly was not at all as prepared as I am now. 

My advice would be to gently suggest to your daughter to make sure that the smoothie is OK (I too use a ntribullet and my dad is OBSESSED with nutrition and is constantly asking if i can ass things to shakes, but I have to do what's right for the sleeve right now and not just adding berries bc they're good for inflammation bc i can't handle the carbs due to weight loss) 

he can ask her nutritionist, surgeon or nurse practitioner. But SHE should ask. And you have to be ok with whatever answer she gets. trust me, from my own experience, I wish I owned it mrs the first time around. It was a failed WLS attempt in many ways, but now there is nothing stopping me. because I hold the power. 

I think it's truly awesome you care so much for her. We're a lucky bunch having parents that are so supportive. Just let her find her WEIGH

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/14/15 1:22 am

*add things. not ass things. haha

hollykim
on 1/17/15 12:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM Pacific Time, southernstitcher wrote:

My daughter, almost 23 yrs old,  is scheduled for surgery on 3/2.  Included in the fee is the pre-op diet kit, consisting only of bars and shakes - no meals allowed.  In 2014 she started a gluten free diet to help with her IBS, and it's working for that.  She is health conscious now like never before, and using her Ninja I gave her for Christmas making berry/kale smoothies.  I wasn't going to agree to pay for the surgery till I saw some actual change, and she's proven that.   She still has to see the psych and do the pre testing, but her surgeon thinks she's a good candidate. 

She weighs a little over 300#, and she was already diagnosed with enlarged fatty liver 2 years ago when she was smaller by about 30 lbs, upon having gall bladder removal. 

My main question is, she is saying that she doesn't see the harm in every once in a while to make a berry/kale smoothie to supplement the pre-op diet stuff, only if she feels she needs it.  She only does berries in these, not banannas or other high carb fruits.  I told her she shouldn't do this at all.  I hate to ask the nutritionist at the docs office, because I don't want to interfere too much.  She says she'll ask them, but in the meantime, am I freaking out too much here?  The doc says only very very small percentage of his patients cannot have the surgery once they are "in there" due to an enlarged liver. 

Thanks so much for helping a nervous Mom!  Any other "caregiver" post op advice would be appreciated!! 

I agree with " butt out". You can't do this for her the rest of her life can you? So don't start out that way. She sinks or swims on her own,like many other times in out children's lives. We can't want something for our children more than they want it for themselves. 

Honestly,the packaged meals she is required to buy from the surgeon are probably a night mare of poor nutrition as bars are really just glorified candy bars.

smoothies even with kale and berries are pretty sugary. I am sure she is not only putting kale and berries alone in either,because that would taste terrible. 

Pulverizing vegetables and fruits takes away the fiber which is really the only healthy thing about smoothies. As long as one gives our lazy bodies sugar in. Any form,by eating it,our lazy bodies won't burn off our stored fat. 

Most Active