Back to basics means more than just what I eat

momsy55
on 1/20/15 1:11 am - ME

In getting back to basics after struggling for a few months and putting  back on some weight, I realize that it means more than just making sure what I eat is what I ate during the losing phase.  There are other basics I've gotten away from, that I am working at getting back to.  For instance, I am a wolfer - always have been.  I'm usually the first person done eating.  This trait certainly contributed to me getting to 300 lbs.  I ate faster than my brain could register my level of fullness.  Consequently, I ate more to try to fill up.  I learned, as part of my recovery, to eat slowly, chewing every bite several times.  Well, the wolfer in me took over again, long before the other struggles.  Today, I'm trying to slow down again.  I also stopped waiting at least 30 minutes between drinking and eating.  I still have waited to drink after eating, or otherwise I'd be sick.  But I started eating shortly after drinking.  I saw no harm in it.  I even thought that having the liquid in my stomach would keep me from eating more.   Sometimes it worked, but the cost was that I'd eat again after, and sometime I'd be so hungry that the choices I made were not always the best.  I also got away from stopping eating when my sleeve was starting to feel full.  The wolfing didn't help, and I wanted the extra bite(s) more than I wanted to nurture my sleeve and feel good, as an overfull sleeve is not comfortable.  I started grazing instead of planning and being mindful of what and when I was eating.  These things didn't happen overnight, they came on gradually, just like the extra pounds.  I thought that, because I was still getting lots of protein and liquids, and staying away from sugar, I was fine.  Not so much.   The food seems to be back on track.  For today, I am also working on getting back to the other basics, which are also important tools.  It's not always easy, and I haven't been perfect, but I am making progress.  I remind myself that it's progress, not perfection.  Each day that goes by, has been a little better than the last.  I am so grateful for that.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Tracy D.
on 1/20/15 1:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Good job, Momsy - and good reminders for all of us!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

momsy55
on 1/20/15 2:10 am - ME

Thanks Tracy!

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/15 2:02 am

Great update and great mindfulness.

I went to a support group last week and the surgeon reminded me and another post of who is 4 years out about how important it is to remember what our mindsets were when we were newly sleeved. It is so easy to ease up and not be diligent about our choices and not be mindful.

Like you, I am a "wolfer". I have to consciously eat slowly. I have a sleeve of steel and only rarely will it balk if I eat too quickly. I must ever be mindful of my eating or it quickly goes to pot.

Good on you for sticking to it!

momsy55
on 1/20/15 2:21 am - ME

Thanks Kairk!  I too have had few problems with my sleeve and can eat just about everything.  There are certain foods that do bother me at times, but overall, my sleeve is very well behaved!  I like the idea of trying to change my mindset to what it was just after surgery.  I tried to do everything by the book, and, because I was on a pink cloud, it was relatively easy.  After 3 1/2 years, the pink cloud is definitely gone, and it takes much more effort.  As each day goes by, though, it is getting a bit easier.  However, I need to stay mindful.  One of the things I've done little of is go to support groups.  I used to go to the satellite one in my area, but schedules at home changed and last year it was impossible to get there. The main support group starts at 4:30 and is 1 1/2 hours away from my job, so I can't get there unless I'm off.   Our schedules have changed a bit recently, so, with some rearranging and support from my hubby, I should be able to attend again, starting with the next meeting. 

Most Active