when can I eat these?

col209
on 1/19/15 12:19 am

I am 8 weeks out and was wondering if I could eat edaname, roasted chickpeas, celery with peanut butter, protein chips? Looking for more high protein foods, I am so tired of yogurt and cottage cheese and protein shakes. When can you use protein bars?

thanks for your input

colleen

Tracy D.
on 1/19/15 12:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You should ask your doctor's office - everyone's plan is different.  I could have probably had these things at 8 weeks out but they wouldn't have been good choices for me because I was doing super-low carb and chickpeas, edamame, peanut butter and protein chips would have been too high in carb.  

I couldn't handle the heaviness of protein bars at 8 weeks out and they are SUPER high in carbs too...which can spike hunger.  There are other people on here who weren't even allowed to try these foods until 10-12 weeks out and don't even eat them now.  

Just trying to explain why you will a LOT of different answers to this question.  Refer back to your doctor's plan.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bufflehead
on 1/19/15 12:32 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My surgeon & RD didn't allow any of those foods until six months out. But it doesn't matter what my surgeon allows, it matters what yours does. Did he or she give you any guidance?

Personally, even if allowed, I wouldn't have tried any of those things at 8 weeks out, except perhaps edamame. Lots of things here that are either high carb, slider foods, or really hard on your healing tummy (celery).

I think it is okay to be bored with/tired of food. Especially at this point, food isn't about entertainment. It's about healing, nourishment, and weight loss. IMO things like peanut butter, celery,  and protein bars aren't your best options now, if ever. But I may be biased by having been indoctrinated by my very conservative medical team!

November18
on 1/19/15 1:12 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I'm with you. Looking for something different or with more taste or flavor. Can't find anything though without those darn carbs!!!! Must be the 8 week itch!! Hope it passes. LOL!

Bonnie

wyo_sarah
on 1/19/15 1:21 am

I agree with the other people *****plied.  Everyone is different, every plan is different.  For me, at 8 weeks out, I was eating a little PB2 in a protein shake.  I'm almost 6 months out and have had 1 protein bar. I felt pretty yucky after I ate it, I think because of the carbs.  I haven't tried again.  Haven't tried the chips either.  To mix up my food I started eating meat...lunch meat, jerky (although I know not everyone can tolerate jerky that early) and I added cheese.  I just bought yesterday mozzerella cheese wrapped in proscuitto with basil.  It looks fabulous, is soft and high in protein.

mickeymantle
on 1/19/15 1:29 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was allowed all food 2 weeks but my plan skips pureed and lets you eat all food after full liquid but your told to start with softer stuff

unless your don't eat meat those are not a great choice, meat has a lot less cal for the amount of protein 

if you do not eat meat or fish I would talk to your nut about what to eat without meat fish and eggs you will always need the shakes

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Luvmygs
on 1/19/15 1:29 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I was told at 6-8 weeks I could start having protein bars. But, my NUT said that Protein drinks are still the better choice. I put peanut butter in my protein shakes!

Gwen M.
on 1/19/15 1:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I could have eaten all of those at 6 weeks, but I wouldn't since they're all snack type foods which I avoid. I don't want to introduce snacking back into my life!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/19/15 4:40 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon advised against raw vegetables, particularly celery, right after surgery because it's so fibrous and could cause problems with your staple line.  I didn't eat raw vegetables for at least six months.

Have you tried cheese sticks?  I like one that's low fat colby.  How about deviled eggs?   Have you checked out the food ideas on Eggface's blog?

I don't like eating protein bars now.  Too many carbs and too similar to eating candy bars.  One is not enough for me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active