Pain on the right side of my stomach

Melanielw
on 2/1/15 12:23 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I am 11 days post op and I am still having a lot of pain on my right side. When I bend over there is like a burning sharp pain, and it's even very uncomfortable when I sleep. I told my surgeon about it last week and they said it was normal. I just feel like it has gone on way too long and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Sarah M.
on 2/1/15 3:07 pm - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I did - for me the pain was WAY WORSE than anything from surgery.  It turned out to be a kidney stone (likely brought on by the abrupt change in diet and not drinking all my liquids.)  It hurt like hell.  I ended up going to the E.R. (my surgeon was on the phone with the E.R. doc telling her what to look for) and getting a CT scan to make sure nothing was ruptured or leaking or anything.  They found the kidney stones on the CT scan.  

It could also be a pulled muscle (most likely), or gas/constipation.  If it keeps up, you may want to get a CT scan and blood drawn to make sure it's not something more serious. Trusting your instincts and advocating for yourself is never a bad idea...

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

BrendaRae
on 2/1/15 8:27 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

I had min on the 13th.  I still have sharp pains on my right side. If I bend over it is almost unbearable much less try to get in and out of the car. My three week follow up is on wed, but I'm calling him today and ask.

I

Amy M.
on 2/1/15 9:37 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

It's normal. Your stomach was cut and stapled. It's going to be sore for quite a while. For me the soreness didn't go away until I was about 5 weeks post op. Hang in there and if you feel like something is truly wrong i.e. fever, nausea, vomiting, and the pain gets worse then call your surgeon or go to the ER because those are signs of a leak. But what you're experiencing to me sounds completely normal. 

Gwen M.
on 2/1/15 9:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was the same way - my surgeon said that's where they have to cut the muscle to pull the stomach through.  It was completely gone within a few months and got a little better each week in between.  

You're only 11 days out from major surgery - give yourself a break :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Melanielw
on 2/2/15 12:43 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I think I am just freaking out over every little thing. Lol I am so afraid something abnormal is going on with me and so I always have to ask on here. Glad that I found this forum so it can help put my mind at ease when things like this happen. 

hollykim
on 2/2/15 1:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, Melanielw wrote:

I am 11 days post op and I am still having a lot of pain on my right side. When I bend over there is like a burning sharp pain, and it's even very uncomfortable when I sleep. I told my surgeon about it last week and they said it was normal. I just feel like it has gone on way too long and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone else experienced this? 

please,less than 2 weeks and you think the pain has gone on too long? 

post op pain can and often does,go on for up to 6-8 weeks after surgery.

Melanielw
on 2/2/15 1:52 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I apologize if it seems dumb that I think the pain has gone on too long and I'm 12 days post op. The pain I am experiencing was something I was never warned about before surgery. So naturally if something I wasn't warned about before surgery is occurring it's going to worry me. 

hollykim
on 2/2/15 2:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Pacific Time, Melanielw wrote:

I apologize if it seems dumb that I think the pain has gone on too long and I'm 12 days post op. The pain I am experiencing was something I was never warned about before surgery. So naturally if something I wasn't warned about before surgery is occurring it's going to worry me. 

surgeons do t warn ppl about Types of pain ppl might have,because not every pTient will have the same recovery. 

Surgeons learn real quick that if they tell ppl everything that could happen,many patients will "manufacture" just exactly these symptoms. Then it is hard for surgeons to determine if someone is really having a problem.

it is perfectly normal to be worried and you did the right thing by ASKING your surgeon. But. Then,you don't believe/trust what he. Tells you?

Tracy D.
on 2/2/15 3:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The right side was where my surgeon pulled out my stomach so that particular incision was bigger and was held open longer and in a wider position than the others.  So there are a few more stitches in that area too (that I couldn't see of course).   

I continued to have more pain on that side for a few weeks after surgery but it eventually got better and went away.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active