GERD help

AK_Gipson
on 1/30/15 12:27 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I had my VSG last April. I love it. Have lost over 80 lbs in 9 months. BUT... I have a crap ton of acid building up, even with taking my daily antacid pill. The doctor is scheduling an EGD/bravo test to see if I have "pathological GERD. If I do they said I have to be revised to RNY. The pouch will only hold about 1 1/2 ounce's because I've had the sleeve. Has anyone heard of this happening?

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Tracy D.
on 1/30/15 12:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's not uncommon for reflex symptoms to worsen or begin after VSG.  I never had issues before but developed them immediately following surgery.  

What type of antacid pill are you taking?  I had to try 3-4 different ones before we hit on a PPI that worked for me.  I take Protonix - started with 40mg and have cut back to 20mg.  I'm 20 months post-op and will try tapering off again soon.  

I've never heard of "pathological GERD" but I just had a friend who was revised to RNY from VSG because she developed horrible reflux that couldn't be controlled with any type of medication.  She was 2 years post-op.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active