Terrified of slipping into old habits, and I still have 3 months until surgery!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/15 10:34 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Hi everyone! Last week I posted about debating over surgery now that I've already lost some weight during my 6-month pre-op period, and thanks to all your support and insight, I have decided it's still my best chance to not continue to yo-yo in weight for the rest of my life. I've lost weight before by eating smaller amounts of the same crap I used to gorge on, but now I'm truly practicing "mindful eating," eating vegetables, and paying attention to hunger and fullness for the first time in my life. By all accounts I'm in a great position for surgery in April. The problem is, I am downright TERRIFIED of slipping into the same old habits I've had for 30 years!

I've been overweight since age 6, so it's not like I have a baseline I'm trying to get back to -- I'm creating brand new habits as I go. The dietitian at my clinic says "aim to be a B student," which is excellent advice because I've always been an all-or-nothing type person -- I had a big piece of cake on my birthday, and I'm not depriving myself of things I enjoy, but I've finally learned when to stop. But not knowing HOW I did that has me really worried that I won't be able to keep up those behaviors and I'll wind up regaining everything after surgery, just like I've regained it all (plus some) any time I've lost weight in the past. Help! I know there's no way to predict the future and that it will be a lifelong struggle, but what can I do to make sure I don't fall back into old habits? What worked for you, or if you did fall off track, how did you recognize it and what did you do to get back on?

Gwen M.
on 1/31/15 11:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think a lot of us have these fears, I know I did.  So the number one thing I've done to keep this from happening is to find a therapist I clicked with.  I see her almost every week.  It's really helping me to stay on track and figure out why I do the things I do and why I got to where I got and how to keep from getting there again now that I've had this great tool installed.  

I highly recommend this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/15 1:15 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks Gwen. On the advice of the psychologist I saw as part of my pre-op evaluation, I established with a health psychologist whom I see regularly now. I know she's helped me, but not necessarily in quantifiable ways, so I may be understating exactly how much she's contributed to my behavioral changes. I'm supposed to see her regularly at least through my first year after surgery, so I hope to have as great an experience as you have!

AndreasJourney
on 1/31/15 9:59 pm

Like you, I've been obese since I was a young child. While I am only about 3 weeks out I've been noticing ha*****anges already. For instance I bought all of these puddings, jell-os, mashed potatoes for my puréed and soft food phases. Now I'm not even really interested in eating those (and its chocolate pudding!), I'm already thinking I want protein first and what's going to get me that protein. Now that's not to say I won't have those items, it's just that they are not my priority. I'm also plagued with the what ifs, but ultimately if you follow the plan you can be successful.

cappy11448
on 1/31/15 10:58 pm

I have those same feelings.  Many of us have had decades of yo-yo-dieting and decades of failure managing our weight.  But obesity is a disease and weight loss surgery is the one treatment that works. 

I remember when I first started the process, I'd see posts of people making it to "Onederland",  and I'd think,  there is no way I'll ever get below 200 pounds.  Yet here I am today at 155 pound and a normal BMI. 

You have to make a commitment to following the program.  The surgery isn't a magic pill that cures obesity, but the surgery makes it possible to manage the weight.  It gave me the tools to manage my weight, and I am the same person who got to 385 pounds! 

Even now, 2 years post op and 6 months into maintenance, I am still terrified of regain.  But that's ok if it makes me diligent in watching my eating. 

It sounds like you are off to a good start and I would bet on your success.  Best of luck.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

downhome
on 1/31/15 11:49 pm

I am three years post-op.  I have the fear everyday.  I can tell from experience that slipping back into old habits is easy to do.  One must be forever mindful of what they are eating.  Regain is real and true it is easy to do.  I have maintained my weight within a five pound range however it is not easy. The surgery was the best choice I ever made however long term success takes a commitment everyday.

Spencerella
on 2/1/15 12:54 am, edited 2/1/15 1:37 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Sounds to me like you are in the perfect position to be successful.   

To build on what Downhome said, fear can be a healthy thing. It keeps my head in the game and I never want to lose it. 

A big part of my problem that set me up to abuse food was that I went into avoidance. I did my best to not think about the devastating consequences. Now, I try to remind myself every day. It's my reality and I must never forget it. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active