Drug Test, round 2

mia97478
on 2/1/15 12:17 pm

My insurance requires that I be drug, alcohol, and tobacco free in order to start my 6 month supervised diet. I knew I wouldn't have any issues with that since I don't smoke or take drugs and I only drink a few times a yr. So I was surprised to get the call that I had failed the test due to tobacco (I mentioned this before when it first happened). I had been around family members over the holidays and I was exposed to their secondhand smoke. So, I was pissed to say the least. My surgeon felt terrible and assured me that it was such a tiny amount that I shouldn't have any problems testing clean the next time, provided I avoid all smokers. 

So I've waited the full month and I can go back in to retest tomorrow morning. I'm terrified that somehow the nicotine hasn't worked it's way through my body yet. Ugh, I need this to be over and done with so I can start my 6 month supervised diet. If I am still dirty for some reason I'll have to wait another month to test again. I may go on a rampage if that happens.

Wish me luck!

Dr. Colin MacColl, Springfield Oregon- pending surgery

Ms.Bev
on 2/1/15 8:26 pm - Pleasant Prairie, WI
VSG on 01/05/15

Oh my gosh, I never heard of such a requirement. That is horrible, I would have never thought that second hand smoke would stick with you like that. Good luck, wishing you good test mojo.

J Connel
on 2/1/15 8:36 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

Wow - I've never heard of this.  I'd be ticked too that second hand smoke could disqualify you.  It would seem like they would take that into consideration and look at the levels in the system.  If your surgeon feels comfortable that you would test clean, I bet you will be just fine.  Keep us posted and best of luck to you!

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

56sunShine14
on 2/1/15 11:47 pm

just wondering, if you don't mind saying, what is your insurance?  That sounds weird.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

mia97478
on 2/2/15 1:47 am, edited 2/2/15 4:25 am

No, I don't mind, I'm a State Farm agent and it's through the State Farm BCBS.

Edit: I'm such a dork. My WLS is being covered by my secondary insurance, not my primary. I can't think of the name of it but it's a private policy they put together to cover his employees.

Loaf
on 2/3/15 2:59 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

coming from an Ex Smoker and a tonne of Research...nicotine  is in your body for 3-4 Days Tops.

mia97478
on 2/3/15 12:22 pm

Nicotine yes, but cotinine can take 20 to 30 days to leave your system and the test checks for both. It's most likely that I could have re-tested the following week and been clean but my insurance would rather wait the appropriate amount of time to avoid wasting money.

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/3/15 3:11 am

Wow. Very strict. Gotta hand it to the doctor to make sure he is dealing with patients who are truly ready, but that's crazy. Failing it due to secondhand smoke is just another thing to prove that there are so many outside things the affect our health. the only thing we can control is what we do. 

Best of luck!

mia97478
on 2/3/15 12:25 pm

My dr would have moved forward if it was within his control but the insurance won't allow it.

Also, I accidentally hit "report" button instead of reply on your post. I immediately backed out of it so hopefully I didn't cause any trouble! So sorry!

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/4/15 3:36 am

Ah, insurance. The absolute wackiest and biggest hurdles. Nothing happened to my account so far! But thanks for the heads up

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views