6 month post op visit

wyo_sarah
on 2/6/15 3:10 am

Yesterday I had my 6 month post op appointment.  I have lost 73% of my excess weight.  The doc said the surgery is considered a success at 60% and that he feels 75% is fantastic.  So, I'm doing well.  He went over the "how to eat for the rest of your life talk" and it was a bit different than I was expecting.  First, he said no more protein drinks.  He said that for a number of reasons, first that drinking calories doesn't provide your brain with the "full" feeling which can cause people to over eat.  Secondly, that protein drinks are designed to be absorbed into the body quickly and if your body doesn't actually need that protein right at that time then it is converted into fat.  He said it is better to eat your protein as a dense food that is digested and therefore absorbed more slowly.  He talked about the psychological side of hunger... using a small plate, putting the food away rather than leaving it out so getting more is easy, about focusing on eating when you eat so you feel satisfied rather than eating on the run, while watching TV, typing on OH (like I'm doing now).  He also said that I no longer have to count my protein or calories; that if I'm eating properly I should be just fine.  I think I will continue to track that info, just because I know that it helps me stay accountable with myself.  He also said that I need to eat protein first, veggies second, then fruit, and last carbs and that sweets should be avoided and carbs should be whole grains.

It was a very interesting appointment.  Just thought I'd share.  I hope everyone has a fantastic day.

wyo_sarah
on 2/6/15 3:15 am

A couple other things I wanted to mention:  First that he said that weight loss really slows after the first 6 months and that I might lose a bit more, but not too much.  I'm hoping to I can get off another 15 pounds!  That everyone gains something back.  And lastly, that around 2 years out is when it really starts to get hard.  Because, he said, by then the psychological high is gone...no one is commenting on how great you look, you are used to the person in the mirror, you aren't buying tons of new clothes, and it just gets a lot harder.  What do you all think?

peachynptc
on 2/6/15 3:37 am - Fayetteville, GA

My surgeon said something to that effect as well. The being a "success" blew me away. I don't consider it a success and actually wished he had fussed at me if I didn't reach my goal weight.

I occasionally drink a ready to drink protein shake, mainly to kill my sweet tooth. I love premier protein in strawberry. I always try to do protein first. I am 4 yrs out and it is very hard sometimes to stay on track. I would heed your own advice and keep up with things at least for a little while. I let things get out of hand and gained several pounds, back on track now and doing better!

VSG: 4/11/11 by Dr. Kevin McGill at Buckhead Bariatrics, Atlanta, GA.

Looking for Support Group near Fayetteville/Peachtree City, GA

Gwen M.
on 2/6/15 6:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There's no reason that weight loss won't continue after 6 months.  It's harder to lose weight the closer a person gets to normal, but that doesn't mean it stops.  It just requires dedication.  It's not like we had RNY and our malabsorption wears off...

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/15 12:21 pm, edited 2/6/15 12:24 pm

Thank you.  If after having WLS, people stopped losing after six months, there would be a ridiculously high failure rate for any WLS.  Some people are SMO and have a lot of weight to lose. Not all of us can get all our weight off in six months.  And yes, the closer to goal, the more difficult it is to lose the weight. 

changingmylife4ever
on 2/6/15 9:54 pm
On February 6, 2015 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

There's no reason that weight loss won't continue after 6 months.  It's harder to lose weight the closer a person gets to normal, but that doesn't mean it stops.  It just requires dedication.  It's not like we had RNY and our malabsorption wears off...

I agree. My weight loss did not stop @ 6months. I am 15 months out and I still lose some. It is very slow now, but hasn't totally stopped. I may lose some this week because I had 10 teeth pulled and an upper denture and lower partial put in and right now all I can do is liquids. Hoping to get scramble eggs down this morning. Strange, but since I can't eat, I am not getting hungry. I am drinking protein so maybe that is the reason. I kind of feel like I am back on the liquid stage after my surgery.

Y D.
on 2/6/15 4:42 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

that's all really interesting, thank you for sharing! I hope to be able to live a protein shake free life at some point, especially since i'll be moving abroad where everything is so much more expensive.

Gwen M.
on 2/6/15 6:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with him on the lack of fullness with shakes, but the second reason seems like baloney to me.  

Your success is great, though :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lessofme123
on 2/6/15 11:31 am

I'm glad you shared. When I had my 6 month  appointment,  all my doctor told me was not to eat sweets for the rest of my life.

Most Active