How to manage 3rd shift. post op

Vsg_Carlos
on 2/6/15 5:13 am

I recently switched to 3rd shift and im having a hard time figuring out when to eat when to sleep. Im worried this will hinder my sucess post op. Ive been sleeping a few hours in the am when i get home and I lay down at night before work. I work 1045 to 645 with possible mandation. Any advice would be much help. 

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/6/15 6:49 am, edited 2/6/15 6:51 am

Hello,

I  haven't had surgery but I did work the midnight shift and the afternoon shift for seven years.  For me the adjustment was fairly easy because by nature I am a night owl.  Stop looking at your day as daytime.  Your day is now nighttime.  Other than that, nothing really changes.  You should set a regular schedule and pattern of sleeping and eating exactly how it would be normally.  What I mean by that is get up at the same time each day.  Eat meals at the same time each day.  Work at the same time each day.  This will set up a regular routine.  It won't be the same as the rest of your family or friends, but it will become normal for you.  Once it's normal you won't have to give a second thought about success.  I hope that makes sense for you.  Also buy yourself a good set of black out curtains.  If you have a family or roommates tell them to be thoughtful of your new schedule and to keep quiet times in the house when you have to sleep. Little kids don't understand, but older kids and adults are generally very good about this. At least that was my experience.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/6/15 7:18 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Setting up a routine for your new hours is the best way to adjust. I work a 12 hour rotating shift & I find when I work nights, I try to eat my meal either right b4 I go to work, or early in the night, & just work on water for the rest of the night, then I'd eat again at the end of the shift b4 I go home, nothing heavy, for me it helps put me to sleep since I feel the sleepiest at that time anyway.

I go home & sleep right away since I like to sleep late anyway on my days off in the morning & the room is still a little dark. Black out curtains definitely help. I try to make the room as dark as possible. I usually can get a good nap in & if I feel energetic I'll get up a little early & try to get some exercise in, like walking or riding a recumbent bike. It really depends on how my night went.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Flabaway
on 2/6/15 8:17 am
VSG on 01/05/15 with

And probably up your D3 intake since you won't be getting much daylight.

bigredlt
on 2/10/15 6:59 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

Ive been on 3rd (10:00pm to 6:00am) since before my surgery.  I get up around 7pm, eat protein (egg & cheese, greek yogurt, etc), but something light because I never liked to eat breakfast but make myself do it now. Around midnight or 1:00am I eat lunch. Then, around 5am I eat my dinner. I get home around 6:30, exercise, maybe have a snack (protein bar, jerky, etc) then go to bed around 9:30-10:00 am. Hope this helps. Experiment with your schedule. I need 8-9 hours of sleep, so I take 2 meals to work so I dont have to eat right before I sleep. You'll find what works for you. It CAN be done! Good luck!

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views