Liquid Phase - Four Days Post-Op

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 1:11 am, edited 2/3/15 1:12 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

Ok, I'm kind of getting bored with water and juice, water and juice so I've decided to shake it up with a few other things such as Pho (broth only), Jello Gelatin, and Popsicles.  Are these things okay to have during the liquid phase?  I was thinking about tomato soup but thought that the tomatoes would be too acidic.  Any suggestions?  And why does everything have to be sugar-free?  I'm not really a big fan of artificial sweeteners?

Bufflehead
on 2/3/15 1:22 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

All kinds of broth, sugar free jello, and sugar free popsicles were approved for me on full liquids, as was tomato soup (low fat). I didn't have any problem with tomato soup. But it isn't all that important what my surgeon allowed -- what does your surgeon allow? Were you given any written materials or information? Is there someone at your surgeon's office you can call and ask? What is most important is following your surgeon's plan, IMO.

I'm not crazy about artificial sweeteners either, but my plan called for them so as to be low calorie and low carb. That's what my surgeon's team stresses. I decided that post-op food rules were not going to be dictated by what I liked (eating according to *my* preferences got me over 300 lbs) but instead, would be about following orders. So I sucked it up and did it. I still don't like the idea of artificial sweeteners, but frankly I don't trust my own judgment with respect to food (again -- there's a good reason for that!) and I don't want to be 350+ lbs again. Or even 200+ lbs again!

I do think you can avoid artificial sweeteners if you stay away from stuff that would ordinarily taste sweet. Just have lots of broth, savory soup, etc. instead of things like jello or popsicles.

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 2:55 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

My surgeon and nutritionist have fully outlined what I am to eat, but I was just wondering about other forms of liquid.  I have an appointment on Thursday, so I'll be sure to ask about the other items.  Thank you for your post.

Latina63
on 2/3/15 5:19 am

I think a lot of people have a problem with artificial sweeteners, I know I did, I bought Stevia since it is more natural and you can make your own pops with unsweetened koolaid, hang in there, it's only for a short time and then you can add more foods 👍

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 7:46 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

Great idea about the homemade pops.  I think I can stomach the Stevia a lot better than any of the other forms of sweeteners.  Before surgery, I used to use agave nectar to sweeten my coffee and other things.  I need to ask the doc about that one too.

Gwen M.
on 2/3/15 10:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Agave is almost pure fructose.  Definitely something to avoid. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tanya H.
on 2/3/15 5:25 am
VSG on 01/20/15

I am a person who DESPISES artificial sweeteners but I must say I don't taste it in sugar free Jell-o gelatin or pudding or the sugar free popsicles. I'm 2 weeks out so I know your pain. I ate chicken broth and cream of chicken soup (strained out the chicken. I made my protein shakes with banana or powdered Peanut Butter (PB2) which helped with flavor. I bought the tomato soup but it didn't agree with me much. Maybe because of the high carb count. 

Just keep trying different things until you find something that works. Good luck to you!

Tanya

Julie S.
on 2/3/15 5:49 am - Laredo, TX
VSG on 12/29/14

On my fourth day out I started full liquids.  I had protein shakes, v-8, jello, watered down cream of chicken, cream of wheat with 1% milk, tomatoe soup, anything that I could drink in liquid form.  I did this for six days and moved on to purée foods. 

With God All things are possible!      
BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 7:15 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

My plan calls for all clear liquids (juice, water, broth, sugar free jello, etc.) for one week, protein shakes and other liquids for two weeks. Then, soft and pureed foods for two weeks.  I'm not on any protein shakes as of yet.  It seems that your plan allowed you to progress a little faster than mine does.

Gwen M.
on 2/3/15 6:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What about protein shakes?  

Things need to be sugar free because sugar is caloric.  I was allowed broth and other strained soups during my full liquid diet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active