Heightened Senses After Surgery???

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 7:27 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

Is it just me or are your senses heightened after surgery?  While I was in the hospital, my boyfriend stayed with me.  He would bring his food to the room.  The smell absolutely turned me off.  Everything was too sweet, or too strong.  He put some gum in his mouth and I got so nauseous at the smell.  Then, when they brought the food trays to the other patients in the hospital, I swear I could tell you everything on the menu without even looking.  Then, when he brought me home, he ordered a chicken cheesesteak from a local carry-out.  It smelled good at first and then turned my stomach again.  I went to the grocery store today with my mother to pick up a few items.  I could smell everything in the store.  Senses Overload!!  Has this happened to you?

LK85
on 2/3/15 7:33 am
VSG on 12/30/14

I'm a month out and am just starting to notice how hypersensitive to smells I've become. This morning I gave my dog a bath because I couldn't stand the way he smelled and I opened the fridge and gagged, even though there isn't anything that's gone bad in there, it was just too much to handle. 

I know the struggle.

angiekrn
on 2/3/15 7:50 am - Brighton, MI

I definitely have a heightened sense of smell. I had my vsg on 11/10/14. I can't drink from a plastic cup because I can smell the plastic, and we can't use a straw. I'm a nurse and the heightened sense of smell doesn't always serve me well at work.

SulowskiT
on 2/3/15 7:56 am

This is something I experienced as well. When the attending physician came in a day after my surgery I had to ask him to stand on the other side of the room. The cologne he was wearing was so overpowering I thought I was going to throw up. I am 7 months out and happy to say that things are back to normal!! The sensitivity has gone away and I don't have any issues any more.  Hopefully it will pass for you as well.

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 8:06 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I wonder if it was the same guy.  The same thing happened to me. The attending physician's cologne was ridiculously strong.  I tried to hold my breath for most of the visit because I didn't feel comfortable telling him to back away.

Superchunk77
on 2/3/15 9:54 am

The struggle is real my friends.  I am having it happen to me this week but for me it is smell and taste. 

Tracy D.
on 2/3/15 11:33 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, yes, YES!  I became the super-nose after surgery.  I could smell sugar at 100 paces and could smell things that no one else could smell - lol!  It's settled down a bit but I still feel like my nose is ultra-sensitive.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active