Anyone diagnosed with M-GUS after surgery?

Lily07
on 2/4/15 12:30 am

I had the vertical sleeve on June 30, 2014. Since surgery my blood work has been all whacked out showing elevated proteins and low red and white blood cell counts. I am under the care of a hematologist. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

hollykim
on 2/4/15 5:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 4, 2015 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, Lily07 wrote:

I had the vertical sleeve on June 30, 2014. Since surgery my blood work has been all whacked out showing elevated proteins and low red and white blood cell counts. I am under the care of a hematologist. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

from what I read on the mayo clinic website,is is a problem with one of the types of protein in your blood and it appears to have a genetic cause.

i wouldn't think any Wls would have anything to do with it.

Mellens28
on 2/5/15 9:01 am - Chicago, IL

Hello,

I was diagnosed with M-Gus about 2 years ago.  I was in complete shock.  I had recently had an eye stroke and then, shortly after came the diagnosis.  So, I must have blood work drawn every 3-6 months.  So far, no major spikes. I felt that the band might have been a contributor but was told that there wasn't any correlation.  However, I am having band removed and revised to a sleep.  You are the first person I have heard on this board with the same diagnosis.  Keep me updated!

Lily07
on 2/5/15 9:47 pm

I too was in shock. The reason I asked about this condition here is because I met another person who had a lap band and then diagnosed with MGUS. It is probably not related, I just thought I would ask. I am scheduled to have a bone marrow biopsy next week which scares me a lot because I am a baby about pain. I love my sleeve and think it is the best thing I have ever done. I am very happy with my progress and the results. Please keep me updated and let me know how your revision goes.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views