Sooooo, now you have your sleeve now what

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/15 10:17 am

We wait for the day of surgery, get through it, get home, make the necessary changes in food, exercise you life in general. Sooo are you happy now. Was it the wt,,imagine not being happy even after losing the wt sometimes it's something else. What do you all think

Gwen M.
on 2/4/15 10:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd imagine that for most people losing the weight without making other changes to your life won't magically make you happy.  If that was the case, every skinny person would be happy all the time, and that's just not true.  

I've made awesome changes in my life, but my cat still died last week.  My dad still has cancer.  My partner and I have arguments every so often that I wish we didn't.  Etc, etc.  I'm certainly really grateful that I finally made the choice to fix my physical health, and I'm really glad I'm working hard on my mental health, but these are never-ending processes.  We call them lifestyle changes because we work on them for a lifetime.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/15 11:24 pm

Life happens to all of us, there are cir****tances that we are in that need fixing, it's all about the choices we make. However my question was after all is said and done, I wonder any1 thought wow, lost all this wt still not happy. BC losing the wt doesn't really make everything else ok. I will have the sleeve and go on with my stuff, missing my mom terribly she died 1 1/2 yrs ago stage 4 stomach cancer, her baby sis died 3 months prior to her. My husband lost his job in sept, I have to give my horse away in Oct bc we couldn't afford to keep him anymore, thanksgiving we found my uncle dead in his house, Dec. 23 my mother in law died, my husband went to her house that nite to give her her food and meds, she was unresponsive, call 911 they talked him through cpr, she revived, open her eyes said I love you son, jesus took one breath and died, april my fathers sis died and august his other sis died. So yeah life happens and we are doing the best we can. Thanks for listening. continued success on your journey and relationships are hard I can relate to what you are saying about the arguments.

Dan1962
on 2/4/15 11:36 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Many many many things have improved.  But you still have to be very mindful of triggers that cause over eatting.  I am reminded weekly that I need to keep my awarmenss high.....last week (I'm in sales) I received an great order for $407,000.  I was thrilled.  But I had this feeling where I thought somehting was missing and then I realized I used to always go out for my celebrtory lunch.  And if I miised that I would stop and grab a couple of steaks (nice juicy big ole ribeyes) and make my wife and I a great dinner.  It is really a challenge to figure out what to do with that emotion and stop the behavior that has been present most of my life.  But I've learned to put my time and energy elsewhere.  I have a couple of new hobbies, which I really enjoy.  Once I accepted the fact I am an emotional eater, my awaremenss and determination to beat it has been remarkable.  Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/15 11:40 pm

thank you for those kind words and I'm glad you are moving forward in a positive direction. Be well and keep on doing you bro

Tracy D.
on 2/5/15 1:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

People are shocked to find out that losing the weight and getting to the magical number on the scale leaves them feeling a bit...underwhelmed I guess is a good word.  

What I believe is that the excess weight is a great excuse for people to not live life to the  fullest - that was my case.  I would avoid social situations, cancel out on plans, not even attempt to do things, all because of my embarrassment/fears/shame over my weight.  I was willing to accept bad behavior from people and keep my mouth shut because I didn't think anyone would value my opinion.  

By the time goal weight arrived I had made so many changes and had seen such progress that getting to goal wasn't a big deal.  It was like "okay, just another day".  I was proud and pleased but not overly excited about it.  

And honestly, I think that's as it should be.  Because there is a lot in my life to be happy and excited about and a number on the scale will never be allowed to either add to or take away from those feelings again.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

drea29
on 2/5/15 6:43 am
On February 5, 2015 at 9:01 AM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

People are shocked to find out that losing the weight and getting to the magical number on the scale leaves them feeling a bit...underwhelmed I guess is a good word.  

What I believe is that the excess weight is a great excuse for people to not live life to the  fullest - that was my case.  I would avoid social situations, cancel out on plans, not even attempt to do things, all because of my embarrassment/fears/shame over my weight.  I was willing to accept bad behavior from people and keep my mouth shut because I didn't think anyone would value my opinion.  

By the time goal weight arrived I had made so many changes and had seen such progress that getting to goal wasn't a big deal.  It was like "okay, just another day".  I was proud and pleased but not overly excited about it.  

And honestly, I think that's as it should be.  Because there is a lot in my life to be happy and excited about and a number on the scale will never be allowed to either add to or take away from those feelings again.  

Couldn't agree more.  Well said.

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/15 7:56 am

wow, that's awesome sounds like you are in a good place. best wishes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/15 2:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Surgery fixes your stomach, not your head. Many people here find it helpful to talk to a counselor post-op, especially if we were using eating as a coping mechanism for other problems. Losing weight can also cause new issues relating to body insecurity, self-image, and the like.

Personally, I feel worlds better after losing so much weight and I can do things that I never would have thought I could a year or two ago. There are still things I work on, like my mental illness, that losing weight didn't cure. But it sure makes things easier.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ElizaM
on 2/5/15 11:03 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I was very happy with my life before my surgery, but things have gotten really exciting since then.

Before surgery, I was in a loving, supportive relationship. I had just pushed myself professionally to take on a new and exciting job that really suits me. I had a lot of great friendships and work at a wonderful place. I had a lot of interests and hobbies that kept me busy. My mental illness was well controlled with medication and a great therapist. These things are all still true! 

And now that I've lost almost all of my weight, I'm able to do some things that my high weight had really prevented. I'm physically so much more comfortable, I just fit into the world better. I'm able to do more strenuous and exciting travel and I don't fear the airplane! I can really push my body in new ways. I can RUN! I don't worry about fitting into seats at the theater. I've been off my CPAP for a month and I'm sleeping great, and I no longer have to lug it around with me everywhere I go. I am happier with how I look and I like having fashion options that were never available to me before.

It's like there was a low level thrum of pain and anxiety in my life that I didn't even realize was there until it was gone. So in that regard, yes, I am happier. I say that in the long term, this surgery saved my life, and in the short term, it saved my quality of life. However, I was very happy with my life pre-op, too, and I think that makes a big difference.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active