post op yuck or sick?

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/15 1:07 pm

I don't know if I am dealing with normal post op yuck or if I have gotten sick

Tomorrow is 3 weeks since surgery. Yesterday I was able to run errands with no problems.

Today I have been puking all day. The surgeon's office called in zofran. My shoulder is in a painful spasm. And I am week & achy. No fever

Does this sound like normal post op junk or like I've gotten sick?

If go to doctor tomorrow I don't know if I call surgeon, primary or urgent care.

BrendaRae
on 2/4/15 8:00 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

I was sleeved on the 13th. Other than some pain in my stomach area from incision I am fine. Sounds like something is wrong. I would make the first appt with surgeon, he will be able to tell you if you need to go to primary care Dr. Good luck and hope you feel better. 

hollykim
on 2/4/15 11:40 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM Pacific Time, T1Dmom wrote:

I don't know if I am dealing with normal post op yuck or if I have gotten sick

Tomorrow is 3 weeks since surgery. Yesterday I was able to run errands with no problems.

Today I have been puking all day. The surgeon's office called in zofran. My shoulder is in a painful spasm. And I am week & achy. No fever

Does this sound like normal post op junk or like I've gotten sick?

If go to doctor tomorrow I don't know if I call surgeon, primary or urgent care.

at 3 weeks out and you were previously fine,I would say it is a virus. I had a 3 day virus last month,feeling just like you. Since I am older,a three day virus takes a week to get over ,for me,ymmv. Make sure you are drinking all that you can get down,even if you throw it back up,some will absorb. I find when I am sick,I will dehydrate wicked quick,so be aware of that.

Valerie G.
on 2/5/15 12:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How's your hydration?  Those symptoms also point to dehydration, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

swang9264
on 2/5/15 12:43 am

This happened to me as well.

I was fine for 3 weeks post op and then overnight became incredibly nauseated and threw up/dry heaved almost constantly all day. No fever or other signs of illness aside from being incredibly weak and tired (sleeping up to 19 hours a day).  It has lasted for 3 weeks (with trips to the ER and a 1 week hospital stay). I have only been able to return to work this week, but still dry heave through out the day and constantly have the foamies (regardless of any eating/drinking). 

I'm not able to eat more than a tablespoon per meal and can't stomach more than 1-2 meals a day. My surgeon has ruled out any potential GI issues/illness so we're just waiting for it to pass. I'm on Zofran, Reglan, and a Scopolamine patch to help control the symptoms. 

So sorry you're going through this as well.  I hope it passes quickly. 

Tracy D.
on 2/5/15 12:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's the referred pain in your shoulder that is worrying me.  If you believe that you're fully hydrated I would definitely get to a doctor's office...sooner rather than later.  

This will sound hysterical but when my mom had a heart attack (at 38 years old!) her symptoms were the following:  nausea, vomiting, shoulder pain, weak and achy.  

Please don't take a "wait-and-see" approach. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views