Hi! I am new here and my surgery is in 6 days! Yikes Any Advice?

rachk776
on 2/6/15 3:17 am

Hi All,

I am new here and my surgery is on 02/12/15. I am totally nervous! Any advice? I have never had surgery like this before, I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago but I am told this kind of anesthesia is totally different. I am a little freaked about that. Could anyone tell me a little about their recovery? My mom came down from Illinois (I am in Florida) and she is convinced that I wont even be able to climb stairs. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 2/6/15 7:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My recovery was super easy.  I slept a little extra.  I had some pain if I stood up/sat up too quickly.  I took pain meds for 2 days.  I started walking up and down my street the day I got home.  

Everyone is different, though.  I think most of us have a pretty easy time of things.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PrayMore
on 2/6/15 9:32 am

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

My recovery was super easy - after the first 48 hours! It's great to have help, but you'll definitely be able to climb stairs, raise your arms up and wash hair, etc. 

I stayed an extra day in the hospital due to nausea - the anesthesia and narcotics they gave me caused very bad heaving and retching, but this isn't typical of all patients. It passed with the right nausea meds and after that passed, the recovery was so much easier than I thought it would be!

My biggest advice would be to get some herbal tea in the house in case you have trouble tolerating certain things. This only lasts the first few days - every day gets easier. But chamomile saved me for those first few days - very soothing and helped me get my fluids in!

I didn't take any pain pills after the first day either! Not needed by me!

Like everyone on OH writes, walk and sip, walk and sip! I was up walking in my neighborhood within a few days. You'll be fine!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

rachk776
on 2/9/15 12:49 am

Thanks PrayMore, I will make sure to get some herbal tea. My favorite is mint tea but the chamomile may be better to settle my stomach.

sds0029
on 2/6/15 10:18 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

My procedure was really easy for me AND it was outpatient.  I went in at 7am and was home at 4pm. Not much pain day of but some day 2&3 and I have had zero nausea.    I was blessed.  Good luck to you.  

rachk776
on 2/9/15 12:50 am

That is awesome! I know mine is an overnight stay but hopefully I will have a similar experience! Thanks

psychoticparrot
on 2/7/15 2:26 am

I had a band-to-sleeve revision plus repair of a large hiatal hernia just last Monday. You WILL be able to walk. Four hours after you get to your room, the nurses will MAKE you walk. it's a bit painful but perfectly doable. The rest of the day Monday, all day Tuesday, and Wednesday morning, I got myself out of bed (PJ bottoms are helpful here) and took myself and my IV pole for a 3-minute walk around the unit. I did this twice every hour; once every 4 hours at night. Upon discharge you will be able to handle steps. My surgeon encourages as much stairs-climbing as I can handle, as it helps so much with recovery. You will be sore and stiff, but you will be able to move.

I'm not sure about your question about anesthesia, but I can tell you that the anesthesias they use today are light-years better than in the past. You go to sleep quickly and wake up with a minimum of grogginess. It will be nice for your Mom to be there for a week or so, for comfort, groceries, and laundry, but you will be able to do more than you think.

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

stoutts
on 2/7/15 8:08 am

Biggest problem I had-buyer's remorse. I was pissed for about two weeks after surgery (at myself).  I thought I was prepared-I'd already been banded so did a revision to sleeve. Don't be surprised if you find yourself questioning your decision. I promise it won't last. I'm thrilled now-it was a year in December and one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Best of luck!!!

rachk776
on 2/9/15 12:47 am

Thank you everyone for your help and kind words. I have the pre-op appointment tomorrow and then surgery on Thursday! I am 98 percent excited, 2 percent scared or maybe I'm 98 percent scared, 2 percent excited!! That's what makes it so exciting!! Again, thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I have used a forum for support before but I am glad I found this one!!

Most Active