Stalls

Melanielw
on 2/8/15 2:29 am
VSG on 01/21/15

How long would you consider not losing weight a stall and how early on can it happen to you? I haven't lost anything in 5 days and i am doing everything I'm supposed to. I know the weight isn't just going to fall off and this is no miracle surgery. I was just always told that during the first month you would always lose the most after you have the surgery. That's why I just wondered if this was something others experienced. So far I have lost 11 pounds pre op and 15 post op. 

mickeymantle
on 2/8/15 2:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

first it is best to only weigh yourself once a week or you will drive yourself crazy , I consider a stall if it is more than 2 weeks in a row and a stall can last a month or more

they happen you just grin and bear-it  and check that you are on plan and measuring and tracking everything 

you are probably losing inches (cm)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 2/8/15 2:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I weigh myself daily and love it.  So it's definitely not safe to say that daily weighing will drive everyone crazy!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 2/8/15 2:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14
On February 8, 2015 at 10:29 AM Pacific Time, Melanielw wrote:

How long would you consider not losing weight a stall and how early on can it happen to you? I haven't lost anything in 5 days and i am doing everything I'm supposed to. I know the weight isn't just going to fall off and this is no miracle surgery. I was just always told that during the first month you would always lose the most after you have the surgery. That's why I just wondered if this was something others experienced. So far I have lost 11 pounds pre op and 15 post op. 

Most people gain weight from surgery due to all the liquids.  

Most people stall whenever their bodies freak out.  I promised myself that I wouldn't pani****il I hadn't lost weight for an entire month.  I'm 11 months out now and this has never happened.  

I've pretty much never lost more than 10 pounds a month.  I figure I didn't gain the weight in a year and I'm not going to lose it all in a year either!  It's a marathon, not a sprint, as they say.  

Stick to your plan, get all your protein and water in, and you'll reach your goals.  Have patience.  (Even though it's easier said than done, I know.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Melanielw
on 2/8/15 2:40 am
VSG on 01/21/15

Okay well that makes me feel a little better. I just wondered when the stalls were going to happen and I know mentally I will have to prepare myself for that. It's just crazy to think you can be eating so little and not be losing everyday. I know by body is adjusting to all the new changes though and I have to be patient. 

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/9/15 1:41 am

Hey Melanie! 

Same thing happened to me for about a week. But today, at the doctor's office I was down another two. So it started moving. I think it's the adjustment of it all. Take care and talk soon! Keep me updated :)

luvmypuggies
on 2/8/15 2:50 am

Relax - you're probably just hitting the infamous "three week stall" (search the forum for tons of posts).  The timeline is pretty flexible, but it seems that most/many people have a pause a few weeks after surgery.  Stick with your plan, and know that the weight loss will continue.  I know we're all in such a hurry to lose the pounds, but please train yourself to be patient and consistent, and resist the urge to compare your rate of loss to others. Pauses like this will probably happen again, and they can be SO frustrating, but don't freak out - just keep on keepin' on. :)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/8/15 2:51 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I treat stalls as my body's way of saying I need a break. I usually reflect on how I'm eating if I stayed on plan, did I get all my water in,vitamins, exercise, etc. If I stayed on point then I know to just ease back & let my body figure itself out & the weight will drop off again in its own time. Usually I lose inches whenever the scale doesn't show a loss. 

Be patient, sometimes the body needs time to get its groove back. Don't focus so much on the first month, think long term.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kiwideb
on 2/8/15 2:57 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I believe I've hit the infamous 3 week stall. Tomorrow is 3 weeks PO, and I'd half expected something about now as a pound+ a day didn't seem quite feasible to keep up with.

ive got approval for walking/treadmill/ stationary bike so I hope to kick my stall in its butt by the end of 4weeks PO :)

BrendaRae
on 2/8/15 9:26 am
VSG on 01/13/15

I lost 9 lbs first week post op, not counting  iv fluids, then didn't  lose any  for 5 days. Then lost 5, and another stall  for a week. Drives me crazy but 3 weeks 16 lbs I guess isn't bad. I was hoping for 25  

Most Active