18 Month Mark (pep talk - sorry)

Menchi
on 2/9/15 12:39 pm
VSG on 09/11/13

Okay so a year and a half now (well almost)  Thought I might look in on all the new and share my thoughts on this whole thing. This started as an update but I remember where I was back then and I know this information would have helped me.

It was a scary decision to make but my only regret now is waiting so long to do it. 

The surgery is not the hard part, it really was not that bad.  (no prior surgeries) Not fun to be sure but even with air travel a few days after surgery and the limitations it was not nearly what my brain made it out to be.

It has not been easy, and right now I am fighting to get a reduction and abdominoplasty.  Insurance can be so fun.  I have had a few issues that I can't seem to track but when I pulled out some old paperwork the other day and found out that I am actually over 100lb's lighter, that felt great.  I also went to a theme park last summer with 5 kids, 1 with downs and a toddler for over eight hours and I wasn't even winded at the end of the day.  So many little things make this worth it every day.   I miss soda still but I just try on that 14 dress and I remember why I gave it up.

The hair loss caught me off guard and the fact that I get a lot of gastrointestinal pain when I get stressed now, can be difficult at times.  I just always keep gas-s and pepto on hand and that can be resolved quickly (about 15 min).  But I have a level of respect that I never had at my job, part of that is the weight but another part of that is I have confidence in myself.

My husband and I are still going strong, he is less worried about my health so less stressed. My last blood results last week were 'perfect' according to my DR.  I have never heard that before.  So for those of you on the fence, for me this was worth every bit of it.  You just have to commit a certain amount and when you catch yourself slipping pull yourself back up. This is not the easy way out but if you try it is a way out.

CdngirlinNC
on 2/9/15 9:29 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write your story.  My experience has been similar to yours - not super easy but not super hard either.  I'm at 7 months now and just keep plugging along mindfully.  The difference for me since having the surgery is that my efforts are successful.  I am successful at improving my health.  I like that - to see the scale inching lower and lower toward my goal and to see my hypertension and pre-diabetes disappear!  I am so glad I made this choice and continue to look positively toward the future.  All the best to you.

VSG 07/07/14

Menchi
on 2/10/15 7:44 am
VSG on 09/11/13

Thank you, all the best to you as well. 

Most Active