Surgery in five days.. Worried about recovery

Julie81
on 2/5/15 7:50 pm

im worried about everything but the worry of the hour.. Is recovery. I know everyone is different.. But how bad is it? My boyfriend will be home with me for the first few days I'm home. How long should I have someone stay with me? ( I have horrible aniexty and hate being alone). Will I really be sleeping for 18 hours a day? Will I be able to do anything? Like load the dishwasher? ( I'm ocd about cleaning) should I put a freeze on my gym membership? And since I'm on a lot of meds I feel like I will be crushing pills all day.. And it will prob take me ALL day to get them all down.. Esp if you can only have an ounce of fluid at a time. 

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/5/15 8:39 pm - MI

Take a deep breath and relax! Yes, everyone is different! I didn't sleep 18 hours a day. I slept 8 hours at night and really didn't sleep during the day. I had my surgery on a Friday and that following Sunday two days later I drove me & my mom to church. I loaded the dishwasher, washed dishes, did light loads of laundry. I kept my gym membership as I walked, walked & did more walking post op! :) The treadmill at the gym was great for me! I didn't crush my pills and you're supposed to sip rather than guzzle water down. I would pour 16 ounces at time and sip away. Every plan is different so just double check with your office.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Julie81
on 2/5/15 9:08 pm

Thanks so much! We're you in a lot of pain after?

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/5/15 9:25 pm - MI

I wasn't in much pain. It was the gas that was more uncomfortable than anything. That is why walking helps to get rid of the gas!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

Julie81
on 2/5/15 9:27 pm

I'm used to gas lol so I don't think it will bother me too much. Did you have a tough time getting fluids in the first few days 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/5/15 9:50 pm - MI

Lol about the gas!

i didn't have a hard time with liquids but I also had sugar free jello And popscicles. They counted towards my liquids.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/5/15 9:43 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

My wife was a teacher and took time off to be at the hospital with me. I went home on a Sunday. She went to work Tuesday. I was fine on my own. I took care of myself. I would even drive a few minutes to the local video store to get a new DVD every day. I was able to get all my fluids in. Everyone is different in that aspect. Most people can resume normal exercise in 6 weeks or so. Check with your surgeon. I was allowed to do a treadmill at a few weeks. My suggestion is get your place spotless before surgery then when you come home your ocd may not bother you as much. Do you see a therapist? Talk to them about some CBT to help with the anxiety. Good luck with everything.

ElizaM
on 2/5/15 9:51 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Second the suggestion for deep breaths!

Okay, so, I found bending over a little uncomfortable in the beginning, so have your boyfriend load the dishwasher. It's ok to let a few tidying things slide in the beginning--you've just had major surgery! No vacuuming! No laundry--you won't be allowed to lift anything heavy.

But, really, you really will be able to take care of yourself! People were shocked at how mobile and independent I was. My aunt hung out with me for the first few days and then she quit because I wasn't enough of an invalid! 

I would keep up the gym membership for sure. As soon as I was off the pain meds, I could drive and I went to the gym every day for a walk. I walked five times a day as prescribed by my surgeon. 

I didn't crush pills. I was told to but I didn't. 

I was able to drink water pretty darn fast once I got past the one ounce stage. That really only lasted a day or two, I could take normal size sips (just with a little more time between them) by day 3 or 4. Everyone is different, of course. It's VERY VERY important to get in your fluids. I think dehydration is the number one complication post op.

I tried to take naps and I couldn't! I just wasn't that sleepy, especially after I stopped the pain pills.

Anyway, this was my experience and like I said, everyone is different, but I think you can relax about a lot of your concerns. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Julie81
on 2/5/15 10:35 pm

Thanks everyone! Great advice! I'll keep the gym membership and def make my place spotless for when I come home! If I can avoid crushing the pills I'm going too!

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/6/15 1:36 am

I am 15 days out. Around day 5 is when I really turned a corner.

The day I got it was all sleep. That night I walked to the bathroom alone in the hospital and was a bit shaky, but I managed. I was one of the unlucky ones and was throwing up in the hospital. I think it was a pain medication reaction. I also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time, so i don't know if that was also aggravating my tract (but probably). 

Day 2 I went home after they saw me drink water successfully and after my pouch test (which i also threw up during). ***I'm just telling you those parts to be totally transparent**

Day three I felt the gas bothering me (they pump gas into your abdomen during surgery). I didn't have much taste for anything. And that was a difficult day for me, but not a lot of pain. Just discomfort and frustration. 

Day 4 I work up super early, which is VERY unlike me. I was just so uncomfortable sleeping on my side. I had water with lemon and then half a pureed banana. that started my day off really nicely. I was walking around better, I was kind of doing stretches (nothing intense). 

And then DAY 5 I felt like a superhero. I just felt like a weight was literally lifted. I slept better, I wanted to go outside in the blizzard. I was trying egg drop soup which to ally was my savior. I really felt better. 

What I can say is listen to yourself. Only you know your pain levels. be honest with yourself about it. Bring a pillow for the ride home for sure. Hold it on your stomach. And if you think there's something that will help you, do it. Whether it be lying on the hardwood floor with a pillow under your butt (I did that and it helped with some discomfort) or just walking up the stairs and down and then up again and napping, just remember DO NOT sleep through the day. Crush up your pain meds, take a few laps around your home and then sit or lay down for a half hour. Get back up and do it again. You will heal so much better. 

I had the lap band years ago. The recovery for me with the VSG was amazingly better. I don't know if it's psychological, but I just felt ready to be well again and hit this head on. 

You will be fine. Have someone with you for the first week. The second week, you can hang on your own. Just don't lift or reach or anything crazy. You may think you're fine, but your stomach just had staples in it, so slow down! 

Don't load dishwasher! This is the time to ask for help and be kind to yourself. Think of it as a health staycation. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views