This newbie needs encouraging words/advice

jdvsg123
on 2/7/15 2:41 am
with

Hello all!

I'm new here and I need some help.

My surgery was 1/23/15 and I'm 15 days post op. I'm supposed to be on phase two which is mushy food - protein & supplements - but I still have problems with liquids. Yesterday I tried to get in a protein shake mixed with water - it was way too sweet! After three sips I gave up. Luckily I bought the already made protein shake and tried that. I finished less than half of that and seemed ok. After I chewed half my multi vitamin and a calcium wafer - which went down fine. Later for lunch I attempted a small slice of watermelon and only got down 4 tiny pieces. For a snack I tried a little apple sauce which went down fine. I layed down & took a nap and woke up around 3 feeling so full I could pop! I feel like I hardly had anything & I spaced everything out so I couldn't understand the feeling. From 3pm to about 3am I felt miserable. This morning I was afraid to try any protein or anything else for that matter. I've just been sipping my water, apple juice & diet snapple but I feel like its getting stuck! Im queasy and I've taken my protonix and zofran -  but nothing is helping. Ive had much better days earlier on so I'm kinda confused. I don't miss food yet but I do need to get my vitamins and protein in. I don't want to live in fear of food and I don't want to feel sick to my stomach everyday.

I'm so full of regret and I don't want to feel this way. I just want to know that it does get better and I will have some feeling of normal in my life soon.

Any advice?

November18
on 2/7/15 8:37 am
VSG on 11/18/14

It will get better! Try some warm broth or tea. That went down easiest for me. Also add water to the ready made protein shake to thin it out and then heat it like hot chocolate. For some reason warm things were very soothing to me. The problem was you have to drink them so slowly that you have to keep reheating. A coffee travel mug helps. I never did things like watermelon or applesauce. Afraid of the carbs. Cottage cheese was a big go to in the beginning. Good luck. Don't regret. Each day WILL get better.

Bonnie

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 10:32 am
with

adding water to the shake and heating it up helped loads! I cant believe how much better it tasted. Thank you soo much!

Melanielw
on 2/7/15 10:08 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I am 17 days post op and I can relate to your feelings about being scared of being sick to your stomach for the rest of your life. This procedure was way more extensive then I believe I was prepared for and its really been a hard process. I am constantly feeling nauseous as well, and scared to try to things for fear of my body rejecting it. I just try to take it day by day and hope for the best. For me the hot liquids definitely help. Also adding crystal light helps my stomach as well. Good luck to you! 

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 10:34 am
with

It really helps knowing that I'm not alone. They say it gets better from here so I will fight to remain positive. Hope you are feeling better these days!

Spindarella_2015
on 2/7/15 9:27 pm

Hi,

You and I were sleeved on the same day. As far as the protein shakes, if I am having a chocolate or vanilla shake then I add a tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder to cut the sweetness. Also for your meals, the rule of thumb is protein first, so I wouldn't ea****ermelon or applesauce. I did well with egg salad. One hard boiled egg mixed with a 1/2 tsp of light mayo and 1/2 of Greek yogurt with plenty of seasoning. I also found that 1 oz Chilean sea bass was easy to tolerate or 1-2 oz salmon with a dill sauce made with Greek yogurt and fresh dill. When I'm introducing a new item, I start out with very small amounts to make certain that I can tolerate it.

Have you tried small amounts of soup with unflavored protein powder or chicken flavored protein broth?

It will get better, but try to get your protein in first.

Good luck to you!

VSG on 01/23/2015

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 10:43 am
with

I cannot wait to try egg salad ... any day now I hope. Whenever I try a mushy food like cottage cheese which I tried yesterday ... it feels like pop rocks in my tummy! Lots of weird sounds and rumbling. Is that even normal? Luckily I havent had to vomit but it sure does make me feel uncomfortable.

I had no idea they had unflavored protein or chicken flavored protein broth! Im going to look into these items since they might be my only hope to get in protein.

Thank You!!

Linda B.
on 2/8/15 9:44 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

When DH & I were in out mushy phase, we ate Egg Face's Baked Ricotta, recipe here, http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html. And we also ate deviled chicken spread, refried beans, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and soft scrambled eggs. I would stay away from anything high in natural sugars for now such as the fruit and the apple juice. You want your body to get used to protein first, you can re-introduce quality carbs later.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

jdvsg123
on 2/9/15 10:48 am
with

Loving that site ... everything sounds yummy & I cannot wait tk try! Thanks for the tips!!

NanfromSan
on 2/9/15 12:28 pm
VSG on 12/09/14

Nothing wrong with sticking to liquids if that's what'scomfortable.  Till this day iI prefer liquids because I know I won't accidentally eat too fast, too much, or not chew enough, due to distraction.  My favorite workday lunch is a soup with my unflavored protein powder mixed in.  I still have a protein shake for breakfast too, because all the foods I used to love eating for breakfast are horrible for weight loss (and would probably make me sick to my stomach now).  Try experimenting with different protein powders which you can add to hot and cold foods or beverages.  I put protein powder in apple sauce once in awhile too :)

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Most Active