Getting a sleeve April 13th

Lonnie61
on 2/8/15 2:04 pm

this is my first post on this site. I have been thinking of getting weight loss surgery for the past two years. I had finally asked my gastrologyst if he could recommend someone to me. During that time I had also started having issues with intergestion. I also started getting high blood pressure. I felt like I was falling apart. I was scared too. I ended up having my gallblader removed by the surgeon who I intended to do the weight loss surgery with. Unfortunately this doctor left the USA shortly after. I was left with a feeling that maybe I shouldn't do this. Maybe someone was trying to tell me something. But after I healed I was told of another doctor who was highly recommended in another hospital. So I went to there seminars. I was very impressed and well educated. I realized that the sleeve would be a better choice for me as I have arthritis and will need to take NSAIDs down the road. So this past year I have been doing all of my requirements. I am officially done. Went to see my surgeon and my date has been set for April 13th,2015. I am very very nervous!!!  I am starting to doubt my decision. My 25 yr. old doesn't want me to do it because of the complications down the road. My husband thought I didn't need it because I had lost ten pounds(lol). I am over 100 pounds overweight! I need some good advice here. I am mostly scared of getting dehydrated and nausea and of course being in pain. I also do not want to feel like I am choking. I have flem in my throat usually in the evening,which feels like a clump in back of throat so yes I am scared. Can anyone on here help me get through my nerves. I want so desperately to be healthy again. 

I feel like this is my way of doing that. I guess I am just really feeling like I will have problems and will freek

aenewcomb9
on 2/8/15 4:14 pm

Well, I haven't Been sleeved yet. My date is 3.3.15, but my husband was sleeved 12.21.12.

one thing you said that really stuck out to me was the phlegm part. Does your congestion cause you to gag or vomit now? My husband used to have this same issue preop, and would gag and vomit most mornings when he woke up due to snot in his throat. This was Made 100x worse right after he was sleeved, i guess cuz his tiny tummy couldnt tolerate swallowing so much phlem. He vomited every morning for at least a month. This made for a verrry rough recovery. Once we got him on a decongestant that worked for him, the issue was resolved And life was much better.

even after all that, my husband lost 150lbs and doesn't regret his sleeve. This is a wonderful tool to help you get healthy again. We are huge advocates in my house of this surgery, hence why I am having it done in 3wks (I'm anxious but excited)

all of this to say.. my suggestion would be to talk to your surgeon about your congestion before surgery. We never even gave it a thought until it was after surgery and a major issue. 

You should only have this surgery if you're comfortable with it. Yes I'm afraid of the possible complications. But I'm more afraid of what happens if I don't change my weight. I'm 100% confident that I want to be sleeved.  I think nerves and doubts are normal, but I just think about how this surgery will change my life for the better. I think of what my life will be like 5 or 10yrs down the road if I don't get sleeved. That's enough motivation for me :)

Lonnie61
on 2/8/15 4:56 pm

I appreciate your input. Yes I will talk to my pcp and surgeon about this feeling in my throat. I was told a while ago that it was due to reflux, but I tend to wonder about that. I have a small hernia, no gallbladder, and do not have any burning sensation which some say they have with reflux. Maybe it is phlem. 

I do want this surgery. I guess just reading all the stuff about being nauseated and feeling terrible and etc etc got me scared and doubting if I could do it  I am 53 years old and really do NOT want to spend the rest of my life overweight, on blood pressure meds, being out of breath trying to keep up and just being like a slug, not enjoying the things I used to do Like taking hikes in the woods, sitting on the beach etc. I know deep down I need intervention. I am also taking thyroid medication.

most of my family on my dads side we're overweight.

my mom was too but once she was in her late 60s early 70s she has thinned down a lot.  She take blood thinners and blood pressure meds and some other pain meds.  

In high school I weighed 150.  Right now I weigh 275

i would be happy with 165/170 and healthier.

i wonder how long it takes to see a change in the blood pressure medication.  I was told that I may not need it.  I sure hope so. I wish you all the sucess in your surgery and your journey  thank you so much for telling me about the phlem  I will ask more about this

aenewcomb9
on 2/8/15 5:03 pm

I'm 27 and feel the same way you do. I don't want to feel fat and tired forever! However, I have never been thin. I've been overweight as long as I can remember. It's getting worse as I get older, but I've been ashamed of my size forever.

I'm also on thyroid medication..have been since I was 23. All the issues with obesity run in my family, too.

I don't know about high blood pressure resolution with the sleeve, but I do know my husband had HORRIBLE sleep apnea and snoring and that literally went away about 2wks after surgery. Amazing, cuz he hadn't even really lost any weight yet.

I feel very strongly that some of us just have a genetic and hormonal makeup that makes us more likely to be heavy, and makes it harder for us to lose. Even my surgeon said sometimes, for some peolle, surgery is the only way to permanently lose weight.

Lonnie61
on 2/8/15 5:24 pm

I agree with you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your successful surgery. I will also add you to my friends list😊 keep the posts coming. Would love to know how your doing. 

cappy11448
on 2/8/15 11:23 pm

I was also very frightened of the surgery and put it off until I was so overweight that my life was a downward spiral of gaining weight, less mobility, and more limited life.  I had the surgery at 64, and I am so happy with the results. 

The surgery itself was easy.  I had very little pain, no nausea (due to the strong anti-nausea drugs I requested).  The process of getting used to my new tummy was not fun, but not terrible.  I don't want you to think its a piece of cake.  It was not fun, but the results are wonderful.

I lost 225 pounds.  I went from a bmi of 60 to a bmi of 24.  From 385 pounds to 157 pounds.  I feel great.  The pain in my knees and back is gone.  I am mobile again.  No co-morbidities.  No more sleep apnea.  I can wear clothes off the rack in normal stores.  I am so happy I had the surgery.

From my experience, I'd say go for it.  Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SpikyP L.
on 2/9/15 12:39 am - NM
On February 9, 2015 at 7:23 AM Pacific Time, cappy11448 wrote:

I was also very frightened of the surgery and put it off until I was so overweight that my life was a downward spiral of gaining weight, less mobility, and more limited life.  I had the surgery at 64, and I am so happy with the results. 

The surgery itself was easy.  I had very little pain, no nausea (due to the strong anti-nausea drugs I requested).  The process of getting used to my new tummy was not fun, but not terrible.  I don't want you to think its a piece of cake.  It was not fun, but the results are wonderful.

I lost 225 pounds.  I went from a bmi of 60 to a bmi of 24.  From 385 pounds to 157 pounds.  I feel great.  The pain in my knees and back is gone.  I am mobile again.  No co-morbidities.  No more sleep apnea.  I can wear clothes off the rack in normal stores.  I am so happy I had the surgery.

From my experience, I'd say go for it.  Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Hi Carol your story sounds a lot like mine I've been searching the net to find older people that I've had to sleeve. I am 58 years old and planning to have the sleeve probably in August I just started the process.  I have to go to nutrition counseling for four months I got the lap band three years ago but it didn't work I felt funny because of my age getting it most of the people that post or probably in their 30s and 40s So I'm glad to talk to someone that got it at an older age I know it's great that you're doing so well!!!

Most Active