Why I hate being overweight

BlueHeron81
on 2/10/15 12:04 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I started this journey in July 2014 and had surgery in January.  I'm already seeing progress but sometimes I get a little depressed by not being able to eat what I want.  During those times, I think about all of the reasons why I hate being overweight.  Here are a few:

1.  Shopping - Going clothes shopping at a size 22/24 is a daunting task.  The clothes don't fit right and I don't feel sexy in my clothes.

2.  Chairs with arms - enough said!

3.  Bending to pick up items on the floor - Oh how I hate to drop something on the floor.  I have to figure out a strategy to pick it up without hurting myself.

4.  Doing Chores - I am a total neat freak, but I get winded going up and down the stairs to wash my clothes.  

5.  Putting on pantyhose - First of all, I rarely wear pantyhose, but when I do, it's an olympic sport putting them on.

6.  Not being able to ride roller-coasters - I absolutely love riding roller-coasters.  But the last time I went to Kings Dominion, four workers pushed on me so hard to try to get the lap bar to snap.  Ultimately, I got off of the ride.  It was so embarrassing.

Can you add to this list?

I am looking forward to my healthy, happier lifestyle with the sleeve.

singdoremi
on 2/10/15 12:13 am - NJ

Why I hated being overweight-

I say being because I am now in a normal weight/size range for my height. Sometimes I still feel overweight and have to mentally talk myself out of it.

1. Looking in the mirror and seeing a fat face(or what I perceived as fat)

2. Being called full-figured.

3. Sleep apnea, hypertension, high triglycerides, pre-diabetic

4. Always alternating between dieting and being completely out of control

5. Not loving myself as I was and always waiting for life to start after I lost weight.

6. Not having any energy/desire to exercise. This has changed for sure!

Good luck on your journey!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

KayDeeCee
on 2/10/15 12:22 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I can relate to many things mentioned already. In addition, I hate being overweight because:

-The seatbelt being so tight on the airplane, that I put a sweatshirt on my lap so the flight attendant won't notice I am not wearing it.

-Sleep Apnea, High Cholesterol, Pre-Diabetic

-Not having the energy to play with my grandchilren without tiring quickly.

-My grandkids having a fat grandma (When my granddaughter was 3 she very matter-of-factly told me I had a big bottom.)

-Not being able to walk very far when on vacations, especially when in beautiful Hawaii last year.

-Bumping into things all the time because I forget that I am obese, even though I have been so for the last 20 years.

-Not being able to sit on a swing to swing with my grankids.

-Wearing stretch waist pants.

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Miss_Abbey
on 2/10/15 1:00 am

I am with you on a lot of these same things. 

Biggest one for me :  BOOTHS

Fastening my Bra!

Taking my daughter to cheerleading practice...oh my God!

I can't wait to loose this weight!

Miss_Abbey

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/15 1:02 am

- the naked truth that my relationship with food is skewed and needs constant attention.

- the work it takes to not become obese again

- being resentful of those who don't have to watch what they eat (e.g. my partner! )

- that staying within an acceptable weight range takes a lot of work. Being obese was pretty damn easy comparatively.

momsy55
on 2/10/15 1:25 am - ME

Thanks for posting this - I need to be reminded.  Some of the things I hate about being overweight:

-problems with mobility

-hypertension, sleep apnea, diabetes, high cholesterol and triglycerides

-clothes aren't attractive and/or no longer fit, no matter what I choose

-not being able to take dance classes

-not being able to participate in most activities with my kids - sledding, tubing, amusement park rides, going on field trips     that require a lot of walking

-running away from cameras

-feeling 'less than'

-sweating all of the time

-always focussing on food (still an issue sometimes, but not nearly as much)

-not being able to easily take care of personal hygiene and grooming

-not wanting to look at myself in mirrors

-being certain of an early death

Just to name a few....

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Gwen M.
on 2/10/15 1:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Knowing that people are judging me and feeling sorry for me.  That's the worst for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shery11ynn
on 2/10/15 2:01 am

Holding my breath while tying my shoes and socks. Not being able to cross my legs.

Debbie_04
on 2/10/15 6:48 am, edited 2/10/15 6:50 am
VSG on 12/29/14

Reasons I hate being overweight:

1.  "Help I've fallen and I can't get up"..... That's me!  

2.  Watching everyone else enjoy activities that I would love to do but feeling I am too big to participate.

3.  Avoiding camera's pointed in my direction. Finding people to     stand in front of me if I can't get out of being in the photo.

Age 66... VSG 12/29/14... H.W. 360...  S.W. 323...  C.W. 253

Mary B.
on 2/10/15 11:48 am - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

Being too embarrassed to put on a bathing suit and do some exercise in the pool.  With my painful knee and hip, it's about the only exercise I can do now.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views