A new goal and need help determining how to get there--4 1/2 years out

brownblonde
on 2/10/15 6:39 am

So hello, friends.  Life has been treating me pretty good since I had surgery over 4 1/2 years ago.  I know that probably sounds like a long time, but it's been the bat of an eyelash.  

I would post this over on a different board, but they don't get much action so I'm hoping there's some dinosaurs like me on here to help out.

Fast stats:  I started at 277, touched 149 for like 2 seconds, and usually maintained at about 152.  I was 157 this morning and pretty consistently for the last 6 months.

I don't feel too bad about that, but it's the wrong direction!  And more than that, I'm starting to get lax in way that I'm worried if I don't "right" the path that I will continue this trend and worse.  While I still have control of the reins I would like to take back power and reach my original goal of "half of myself."  That means I want to be 138.5 lbs.  And, ideally, by my 5th surgiversary on May 26.  I know that's a pretty lofty goal, but if I don't reach it, that's ok.  

I started trying to log my calories 2 weeks ago and what a wake-up call.  I never eat more than 1/2 of any meal out, or 1/2 of most normal meals, and yet I'd say it's pretty typical for me to eat 1400-1600 calories, and no wonder I'm slowly gaining since 1500 calories is maintenance for me :(  Another revelation I learned from trying to watch calories is that when I order the "healthy" choice I tend to eat a lot more.  Case-in-point yesterday I ate a full 6" Subway sandwich, and about an hour later ate the baked chips that accompanied my "meal."  While this was quite the healthy choice compared to lunches I often go out to, it does not seem to be the most sleeve-friendly.  All that to say that sometimes I feel like calorie counting and keeping my sleeve with "good restriction" are in conflict.  

Any advice you have?  I know I need more actual food than I did when I was first losing weight, and I also need more variety as I begin to transfer over into making this work for an entire lifetime.  At the same time, I've been relying far too often on "feeling full" (which never did help me before) to make the call of when to quit because I just don't know a good guideline.  Any hints for later stages weightloss or "reboot", etc. would be much appreciated.

Additionally, if anyone is interested in a challenge going from now until Memorial Day "summer kickoff" I'd be happy to be your challenge buddy and accountability.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/10/15 8:26 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Is 138 a healthy weight for you? Maybe you should take one of those fat to muscle ratio tests to see if you're already at a healthy weight/bmi. It sounds like you've let the carb monster out of its cage, do you get enough protein?, most on here shun refined carbs & the bun on the subway sandwich definitely qualifies. Maybe relying on sleeve restriction alone isn't enough at your stage to lose weight. I've heard that the closer you are to goal, the slower the weight loss.

I'm less than a year out, but there's a back on track forum that might be able to give you some pointers. You've lost the weight b4, so you know what it takes to get there, maybe some tweaking of your diet & cut back on the calories till you start seeing a loss again is a good start., but remember I'm considered a newbie so try going to the wls grads forum too. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

frisco
on 2/10/15 9:01 am

Hey BB great to see you post !

For all the noobs, check BB's WL blog here on OH. Very comprehensive accounting of her journey from the beginning.

She and her sister had VSG on the same day !!!

I'm on the run right now shooting a video.

Your close, give me a couple days to catch up with you.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

PrayMore
on 2/10/15 10:42 am

My NUT just said to me at my 8 weeks post op (yes, I'm brand new!) something that patients further out told her they WISH they knew at 8 weeks: This is the full feeling and the portion we're going to stick to for life. So, my NUT said remember this feeling, how you feel full. Remember the portion that you have now - 4 to 6 oz and that's it - for life. So, I'm taking heed to that advice. It doesn't sound like a lot of food, but she said that is all we need for life.

Maybe you can try to think about those early days and go back to those portions and choices.

Wishing you the best as you reach your goal!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Alice M.
on 2/11/15 10:59 pm - Taylor, MI
VSG on 12/03/12

Must be the day for getting back on track!  I had my sleeve on 12-3-12 and was down 100.  I have maintained a 2 or 3 lb. difference since then and feel great, but due to stuff going on at home, I am now up 4 lbs and feel like I am again finding comfort in food!  Scares me to death!  Got on this board today hoping to find some guidance and....there you are.  I don't feel alone.  I've given myself a good talking to and enlisted my kids to help (my biggest supporters are my family)  I am going back thru all my old meal plans and am going to pretend I'm only a month or so out from surgery and try to find my way back to a healthy me.  I'm also going to start back up tracking my food and exercise.  Nasty ole carbs are going to be the first to go!  Hope things work out for you and I think posting on here is a good way to help yourself.  Good luck.

Never dreamed that I could feel this good about myself again.  Looking forward to many healthy years now.

SW (6/27/12) - 255   PreOp (12/3/12) - 210   

Road Less Travelled
on 2/13/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with

its good that you are catching yourself -- the 4-5 pds turn into 25 pds fast!  I won't go any higher so I am getting back to basics.

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

Most Active