Can you still have surgery with this?

Joanna B
on 2/6/15 9:10 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

I am set to have the band removed and to be revised to the sleeve on 3/12. I had a scope today to see what is causing acid reflux and my surgeon discover a hiatal hernia and esophagitis (which he biopsied). Though I have heard of the hernia I have never heard of esophagitis. This has me very worried. 

Has anyone experienced esophagitis before and was still able to have the sleeve surgery? I am nervous that my surgeon may postpone or even cancel the surgery because of this.

Thank you for all your advise =] 

PrayMore
on 2/6/15 9:42 am

I don't know about esophagitis. I had a small sliding hiatal hernia and I was worried that would preclude me from VSG surgery. When I called to ask the surgeon, he said I would get a 'two-fer' if I needed it. He would fix the hernia and do the sleeve. In the end, I didn't get the hernia fixed - it was inconsequential. 

I hope you are able to proceed! Call the surgeon's office as soon as you can and just ask. There is too much anxiety involved in the process without this question looming for you - especially if your surgery date is coming up! 

And hopefully someone on OH will have better information for you!

Best wishes!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Melanielw
on 2/6/15 9:46 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had the same thing and it was completely fine. When my surgeon did my EGD he biopsied mine as well and everything ended up being fine. I believe that if there was something wrong with the biopsy then they just put you on an antibiotic that doesn't mess with your surgery date. 

coll26
on 2/6/15 10:02 am
VSG on 01/30/15

I did not have esophagitis, but I did have a hiatal hernia which my surgeon repaired in the OR, I'm sure you will be fine!  Good luck!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/6/15 8:53 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I had the same thing & was able to be sleeved, the hernia was fixed during surgery. The esophagitis is likely caused by the acid coming up & irritating your throat. I had a ppi a month b4 and a couple of months after surgery & I haven't needed anymore after I finished my prescription.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

56sunShine14
on 2/7/15 1:21 am

Your doctor is the best one to ask for this but as far as the reflux, I had it for so long but it stopped IMMEDIATELY after I had the band removed. Hmmmmmm..

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active