17 days post-op update!

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/9/15 1:47 am

Hi all, 

i usually wouldn't update so soon. But I am for two reasons: 1) I'm REALLY thrilled that I've lost 17 lbs 17 days after surgery. I'm down a total of 34 from my highest pre-op weight and out of the 300's so that makes me all tingly.

And 2) I wanted to just bring up the stall issue. I think for most of us when we gt this, we imagine it will just fly off us. At least the first 20 lbs. But I did notice that about 6-7 days the scale didn't move. I didn't weigh myself every day, but maybe twice in 7 days just to see. I know that stalls can last weeks and months. But I completely know the feeling of being so soon out and being like "wait. why isn't it less?". I think also, it has a bit to do with cabin fever. And when you're so soon out and haven't been back to work, you just eat, sleep and breathe the sleeve.

today I went back to work. I feel like myself again. Make up on, routine ready.You can actually hold onto weight with stress. My advice to anyone who is experiencing that 203 wk "stall" is to just keep doing what you're doing, add walking, or add water if need be and it will move. Who knows very soon, I could have another week or so where it doesn't change. But I'm someone who had to weigh in at most once a week. I'm just not an every day weigher. So do what works for you. 

I also wanted to note that I had lap band in '07. I never ever felt full with it. I wanted to just say to anyone who has had LB in the past and is nervous about going into another bariatric surgery, this for me is a very different feeling. I feel full. And I feel it "working". 

Happy monday to all! I can't help but smile today. 

PrayMore
on 2/9/15 2:59 am

Congratulations! Sounds like you are doing great! 

As for stalls, I feel the same way: Walk and water through them! 

I don't have lap band experience, but saw three friends struggle with theirs. For all of those reasons, I chose the sleeve to start. So glad this option is available now. And YES, it's a very different lifestyle from my past life, but I'm so happy that I can't help but smile as well!

Have a great Monday! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/9/15 3:01 am

Thank you! I wish I went with this in 2007. But it was just coming on the scene. Maybe I needed that experience to fully prepare me for this. it's wonderful getting the full feeling and I feel really lucky to be able to get this and work towards a goal that I know I can accomplish with this tool. 

Have a good one!!

Jenessalyn
on 2/9/15 4:20 am

Congrats!

I got so excited when I read this because I felt like your words came right from my head. OH and it feels AMAZING to have my thoughts justified my someone else!!!

I too had the lap-band and was very frustrated when it wasn't "working". In December I finally got the band removed and stomach revised to a sleeve. This Friday will be exactly two months post-op and today I have lost 54 lbs from my highest weight, and 41lbs from my "pre-sleeve" weight. My Faith is restored in myself and WLS in general. 

I dont regret the band because if i wasn't prepared to eat such small meals then I dont know if I'd be this happy. My Husband is always shocked when I say I'm full, because it's literally 5 bites in. Then he says "I'm sorry honey, you can't eat, poor girl can't eat." and I say "WHHHAT are talking about!? I'm so happy to feel full and satisfied! I dont feel bad or sad at all!!!" 

So happy to share the same feelings with someone else out there. and excited to watch your progress! 

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/9/15 4:28 am

OMG that is exactly how I feel. When I can't eat more than 4 bites of something, i get so happy that tears fill my eyes. My parents thought that I was crying bc of pain or sadness from not eating. But I was just so happy I can't keep it in. For someone who went through WLS at 19, I was so depressed that it wasn't acting as my tool as promised to me. 

I changed practices, I changed my thinking, I'm 27 now an I just feel very different inside and out. I wish I had revised it when i got it removed in 2010. But ya know what? Everything happens for a reason. And I'm just all set now. 

See you further out gets me so excited to see what's next! I love this giddiness that comes from a good day. Back to work. Back to my routine and FINALLY back on track for my success. 

I cross my legs now!! What a difference the right tools can make when you approach weight loss. Enjoy your day! 

PrayMore
on 2/9/15 3:09 am

I am also grateful for the advances that allow the sleeve, too! I think you've got it this time! One of my good friends *****vised to sleeve is down below her goal weight, more than 100 lbs down and could only lose 60 lbs with much effort with her lap band. This was the tool that worked for her. It's going to work for you too!

Can't wait to hear more as you keep going! (Me too - I'm only 8 weeks out but so optimistic!) 

Let's do this!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

PrayMore
on 2/9/15 3:10 am

Whoops - I'm 9 weeks out now, I guess! Time flies when you are having fun and losing weight!

Ha ha!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/15 4:17 am

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/9/15 5:35 am

That's so inspiring to hear! Thank you for that. It's very exciting when you just feel different approaching the same problem over and over again. It really helps to hear stuff like that for longterm effects and happiness!!

So glad you're doing so well at 9 weeks out. 

Tricia R.
on 2/9/15 5:41 am

I'm aiming for a sleeve in May if my insurance approves. My friend recommended the sleeve. She had surgery about 7-8 months ago and went from 235 to 150! Is it a huge struggle at first?  

Most Active