the next phase of improving my health

momsy55
on 3/12/15 4:40 am - ME

Today I saw the orthopedic surgeon.  I need a knee replacement.  All the years of the added stress on my knee from being so heavy, along with an injury about 8 years ago that I never sought medical help for, as I figured they'd tell me it was because of my weight, has totally worn that knee out.  I was scheduled for a replacement, 2 years ago, but due to my youngest getting ill and needing to take time off to deal with all of that, I had to cancel.  Even though I take dance classes, my ability to move and exercise is limited.  The surgeon said he was surprised that I could dance on it - believe me, I'm glad I'm in the back row, because some movements are too difficult and I can hide!  :)  Biking is out because it hurts too much to bend my knee enough.  I walk, but then am in pain later.  It is clearly time to address the one remaining health issue that's in the way of me fully participating in the life I want.  He initially thought I might be able to get by with a partial replacement, but after examining me and seeing how limited my range of motion is, felt that a total replacement will most likely need to be done.  He did give me exercises to work on increasing my ability to bend and straighten the knee.  I go back in May, and he'll re-check things.  Surgery, by my choice, will most likely be in July, as recital is in mid-May and his schedule in June was limited.  I'm a bit nervous, as it is a major undertaking, but excited by the prospect of increased mobility and much less pain, as well as being able to dance better next year!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Hislady
on 3/12/15 7:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh believe me it will be worth every fear you have!! I had a hip replacement 10 yrs ago at an early age of 54 because I damaged it in a fall. Oh the awesome feeling of being pain free is wonderful!!! I was in so much pain I would put off even going to the bathroom just because it hurt so bad. Healing was quick and not too bad. Just be sure to do your physical therapy after and things should go great!!

Gwen M.
on 3/12/15 8:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You can do it!  I was my dad's caregiver post-knee replacement some years ago and he's doing wonderfully (with his knee) now.  Recovery is a full time job with all the physical therapy, but it's totally worth it :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

momsy55
on 3/12/15 10:23 pm - ME

Thanks for the encouraging words!  I expect things won't be too much fine at first, but the outcome will be well worth it!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

molfish62
on 3/13/15 1:03 am
VSG on 03/07/15

Congrats on taking this step! So many balk at knee replacement because of the recovery needed, but when the surgery is done well & physical therapy is utilized afterward, the life improvements are amazing! 

My only advice is to talk to other people who've had it done, preferably those who had it done by your surgeon, and to really be willing to advocate for yourself if things are not going the way they should while you recover. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views