Cant stop eating junk/sweets! :(

amyvsg6614
on 3/13/15 4:34 am
VSG on 06/06/14

I have a serious sugar/carb addiction going on right now.. The past cpl months have been bad. I have not gained any of my weight back but I know it isnt healthy! I am 9 mo. post op and have lost 131 lbs. Also, I am not getting enough protein.. I know I am not,  and I STILL dont make it a point to eat a lot of protein. I need someone to slap me! Yell at me! Something! I know I am doing wrong, but still doing it.. I think it is because I keep losing.. but I KNOW I could gain it all back eventually if I keep up the way I am.. Ugh.. Sugar SUCKS! I think I need a detox! 

ruthie571
on 3/13/15 4:54 am

I didn't gain at first either but trust me, YOU WILL!  you have worked too hard to get this far so stop now!  Right now!  I didn't and over the past year and a half I've picked up 30+ lbs!  I'm back on track now and have dropped almost 10 of it but trust me it is a lot harder to lose now!  

It's awesome you have turned to the forum for help. I wish I would've a year ago. I just got back on a couple of weeks ago!  

Go through your cabinets and start pitching all the junk food so you don't have temptations.  Eat your protein first when you sit down to eat.  Get your water in also. You can do this!

hw:335, presw318, sw304, cw230          

iiswans
on 3/13/15 4:58 am

Don't beat yourself up!  We all have our good days and bad days.  However, you should try harder to make sure you're getting the proper daily intake of protein.  What helps me is having at least 3 smoothies/day to ensure I get the protein.  That way, if I don't eat enough food to get the protein, at least the smoothies have it covered.  The smoothies consist of protein powder, greek yogurt, which is high in protein and fruit and I change it up some days with high protein drinks instead of the yogurt.  I too am a lover of sweets and thought (because I was told) the cravings for sweets would go away after surgery.  However, THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED!  So I opt for healthier options like flavored almond butter on a rice cake or an apple.  Almond butter is high in protein so not only am I getting protein but it curves my craving for something sweet.  It really comes down to your mindset and willingness to make changes.  It's hard because we've had the bad habits for so long and it will take time.  But start off small and build your way up, but you have to keep healthy and get the protein in.  

mickeymantle
on 3/13/15 5:02 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I WILL YELL AT YOU AS REQUESTED

WHAT THE HELL WHY ARE YOU EATING ALL THAT CRAP

AFTER GOING THRU ALL THE TROUBLE AND PAIN OF GETTING YOUR GUTS RIPPED OUT AND LOSSING ALL THAT WEIGHT NOW YOUR DOING SOMETHING SO $$%^$%$ DUMB EATING ALL THAT SUGAR AND OTHER CRAP  INSTEAD OF ALL THJE GOOD PROTIEN YOU NEED

HAPPY NOW

SO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO JUST GET BACK ON PLAN GO COLD TURKEY WITH  THE CARBS ,IT WILL BE HARD FOR A WEEK OR SO TILL YOUR DETOXED BUT IT WILL GET EASIER AND YOU WILL GET BACK TO GOAL

TRY THIS GO TAKE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF NAKED AND SEE IF YOU LOOK THE WAY YOU WANT TO , PS THE MIRROR WILL NOT WORK YOU SEE YOUR SELF LIKE YOU THINK YOU LOOK IN A MIRROR BUT A PHOTO SHOWS YOU THE TRUTH

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/15 8:21 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This was amazing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sistah3
on 3/13/15 5:09 am

GO buy a schwack of sugar free gum and chew chew CHEW

TexasTerritory
on 3/13/15 5:31 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Ditto to mickeymantle's message. Eat your protein and fight the cravings.

It's not optional, it's necessary.

Tracy D.
on 3/13/15 5:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're still in that phase where you can get away with a LOT and not see significant regain.  Believe me, the fantasy that you will be able to eat like a "normal" person (even though normal people don't binge on sugar/sweet/carbs) is just that - a fantasy that will come crashing down around your ears.  

The longer you wait to detox the more impossible it's going to be for you to do it.  Go cold turkey NOW!  Replace all those carbs with healthy proteins and white-knuckle it for the first 3-4 days.  It will be rough but you can do this.  

And get yourself to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting (in person, online or phone).  You'll meet lots of other people who share you major addiction to sugar and understand the crazy obsessive/compulsive behaviors surrounding it.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 3/13/15 5:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I definitely second the advice of OA or seeing a therapist to help with your self-sabotage.  This is definitely something that you want to address and quash NOW, not a year from now!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/15 8:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As requested:

If there's something you shouldn't eat, keep it out of the house completely. Stock up on GOOD snacks (string cheese, lunchmeat, etc.) and have those instead. You can do this!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active