Post Op Question...

Joanna B
on 3/15/15 2:32 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

I had the revision from the lap band to the sleeve, and hernia fix Thursday, 3/12. I am still in tons of pain. The doctor had to make a larger then normal incision on the right side of my stomach and because of the pain level there, I can only sleep in a chair sitting up (which is hurting my neck and back). I miss my bed and sleeping on my side!!

I hear others who didn't even need pain meds. I envy you. I hurt so bad I have to take the medication, which do make me tired. I am walking a lot. It feels good to walk because I am so sore from being in the chair. I am sipping clear liquids just fine. I have not had a BM or passed any gas at all though. This is going on day 5. Do you think this could be some of my pain issue? How long did it take before you was able to release some gas or even have a BM? I did even try the Gas X.

Also, my dietitian and nurse advised that they want me on full liquids a week after surgery but my surgeon, himself, said he would like me on clear liquids for 3 weeks after surgery. Not sure why. Did anyone else have to be on clear liquids for this long?

Thanks everyone! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

mickeymantle
on 3/15/15 3:41 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

1 2 weeks id not unheard of but more like a week is normal and diarrhea is normal at first

with clear liquids there is not much to come out , I was on full liqiud coming home from the hosiptal

the first few days I sleep on a chair the back to bed , walking will help with the gas and and pain in the shoulder from gas is helped with a hot towel

clear liquids can be fron 2 days to 1 month every surgeons plan id different I was on all food after 2 weeks but that is unusual

but your nut and surgeon need to get together with the plan

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Joanna B
on 3/15/15 7:53 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
Thanks for the reply :) I was worried about going so long without some type of protein. I figured I may not have a BM yet but I thought the gas would have came out by now. I will try the towel in the morning. If this works, what about a heating pad instead? Have a great morning!

Journey2be
on 3/16/15 12:14 am

I definitely needed the pain meds the 1st week after surgery. I had the sleeve with hiatal hernia fix. But I also wondered since hearing people who had no pain. But I did for sure. The gas pain was bad the first 2 days especially. I could pass gas almost 48hrs after surgery. My first bowel movement happened on day 8 after surgery and I have only had constipation no diarrhea. My dr has us stay on clear liquids for 2 full weeks, then advance to pureed which for me will start tomorrow. Good luck I hope the pain let's up soon for you. I had to sleep propped up with pillows much like a hospital bed til about 6-7 days out, now I can sleep normal on my side/belly with just a thin pillow under my belly to help support. 

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Journey2be
on 3/16/15 12:27 am

I wanted to add that my clear liquid diet was all clears except it included protein shakes too in which I could make with skim milk. So all clears except protein shakes, they want me to get up to 50gms protein this 1st month, then that goal will go up closer to 80 I think. I would question if they didn't want you to get any protein for 3wks, that's what is going to help you heal......

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Joanna B
on 3/16/15 3:37 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
Thank you for the advise. By the sounds of it I am almost of track :)

Fleur
on 3/16/15 3:11 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

Clear liquids doesn't mean no protein!!!  Isopure, Unjury, etc have protein and are approved for clear liquids.  

I took/am taking my pain pills and think it's normal to still be in pain.  Try to get sleep (take a pill?) as you will heal during sleep!!!

Joanna B
on 3/16/15 3:38 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
These proteins was never listed on my surgeons list. I will check them out. Thanks for the advise!!

Fleur
on 3/16/15 3:47 am - Eugene, OR
VSG on 03/10/15 with

GNC carries the Isopure protein drinks, 20oz bottles with 40g of protein, and are clear. Unjury is online and they make a chicken stock with protein. Really helps during the clear liquid phase!!!

Joanna B
on 3/16/15 4:21 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
Thanks!! I'm sending my husband to GMC after he gets out of work. I hope this will give me some engery :)

Most Active