Taste Buds Change After Surgery?

November18
on 3/18/15 8:17 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Hi, all! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a drastic change in tastes since surgery? Nothing tastes good to me. I eat because I do have hunger, but I don't really enjoy anything.  I was never a picky eater. Very few things in my life would I say I didn't like. Now nothing appeals except things I can't eat. I don't like chicken, or beef, or tuna, or pork, or shrimp, or scallops, or salmon, or eggs, or yogurt. All things I ate readily before surgery. I like cheese and cottage cheese, and any kind of soup broth, but they don't satisfy me the way the dense proteins do. I also have no problem with chocolate premier shakes. Can't stomach the vanilla or strawberry. I'm hoping this changes. Any one else have this problem? Do you think it will go away?

Bonnie

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/18/15 8:34 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's not uncommon for your tastes to change after surgery.  The key is to find healthy, protein dense foods that you like.

Check out Eggface's blog for recipe ideas.  GwenMo also has links to recipes that are delicious.

What works for me is to cook something in the crockpot, then portion it into containers and freeze them.  My favorites right now include Buffalo Chicken, Pork Chili Verde and Pot Roast.  

I also recommend the "WLS Cookbook for Dummies."  You have to find food that you like or you'll be eating the wrong stuff in no time.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

November18
on 3/18/15 8:43 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks, for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Yes, I know I have to find things I like. I eat the right things now just don't enjoy them. Thanks.

Bonnie

JennyMcC
on 3/18/15 10:34 am
VSG on 02/25/15

Hi November.

Something that SAVED me was Unjury Chicken Soup.  It is a protein powder (like the shakes) but you can add it to FOODS to give them a chicken flavor AND add protein.  Or just mix it with Warm water and drink it like a broth.    My surgeon allowed 'instant potatoes' during the recovery period and you could add it to that w/ some garlic powder if you tolerate that ok.  Follow YOUR surgeons diet rules, if you continue to struggle could you call your Nutritionist for ideas?    Good LUCK!!!  

November18
on 3/19/15 3:40 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks. I appreciate your reply. I'm getting my protein in it's just that I don't like the taste of meat or fish. I'll hang in there!!

Bonnie

psychoticparrot
on 3/18/15 10:50 am

Hi Nov18,

I was sleeved 2/2. Not only did everything taste funny (in a bad way), everything smelled bad too. Fresh ground coffee? -- gag me. Steak on a grill? -- smelled like dead cat. Even fresh air stank. 

The worst taste and smells occurred during the first 4 weeks after surgery. After that, they began to ease off in intensity. I'm now 6 weeks post-op, and everything is nearly back to normal. Still a little iffy about meat, but coffee has become coffee again. Your taste bud aberration will wear off, but it is disgusting while it lasts.

psychoticparrot

November18
on 3/19/15 3:34 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks. I'm really hoping it does wear off, but it's been 4 months  and I'm a little worried. Just had 3 oz of pork tenderloin for lunch. My husband said it was delicious but I just choked it down because I was starving and it was a dense protein.

Bonnie

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/15 10:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of people say things taste different, but not for me. Everything is the same in that respect.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mmsmom
on 3/18/15 10:56 pm - Woburn, MA

My tastebuds changed, but eventually returned to normal.  Coffee was a big turn off after surgery, which was great since we are to limit caffeine.  Unfortunately, my taste for coffee came back.  I have not been able to gag down a protein shake since surgery.  My surgeon was okay with it - and allowed me to go straight to greek yogurt.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

November18
on 3/19/15 3:45 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Lol! The way you feel about protein shakes is the way I feel about meat!! Thanks for the response. I'll hang in there!! My daughter lives in Wakefield. I think that is very near you. You guys had one heck of a winter!!!!!!

Bonnie

Most Active