liver

Bearz
on 3/22/15 12:58 am

Hi all, I am in the hospital and I had my sleeve 14 month ago. Well I have had gallbladder pains for about a year in a half now. But I came in and they keep asking me if I drink and I tell them no. Well today I figured out why! my liver is elevated and they think I drink. But I don't drink.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or heard of this happening!!!! Thanks for your help.

Journey2be
on 3/22/15 2:01 am, edited 3/22/15 2:01 am

It can also be caused by a fatty liver, some people can just have a fatty liver, but the most common cause is alcohol use so that's why they are asking you that. When I was pregnant my liver enzymes would sky rocket and they were very worried and I guess I had a mild fatty liver but either way I don't drink either and after pregnancy they'd go back to normal. Not to say they don't believe you, it would just be an easy answer for them if you did drink probably. But having a gallstone stuck in the pancreatic duct can cause that too, even if you don't have a gallbladder you can still get this, or pancreatitis which again is usually caused by alcoholism but not always.. I'm sure they'll figure out what is going on good luck I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. 

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Journey2be
on 3/22/15 2:04 am, edited 3/22/15 2:05 am

My guess (I'm an RN who works in GI and does ercp's for gallstones) is that maybe you have gallstones and you have a stone stuck in the pancreatic duct which is elevating your liver enzymes. Do you have yellowing of the skin or whites of your eyes? Dark orange urine?

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

Bearz
on 3/22/15 2:19 am

thanks for the info. I don't have jaundice. I do have stones he just came in and explained everything to me.

But thanks for your help. I was worried about them not taking out my gallbladder but I won't no till tomorrow morning.

rocky513
on 3/22/15 3:13 am - WI

The liver is responsible for breaking down the fat that we lose.  During a rapid weight loss (as with WLS) it is common to have elevated liver enzymes.  Your liver is working extra hard to process out all that fat.  That is why they tell us not to drink alcohol during the weight loss phase and to wait until we reach goal.  Excessive use of Tylenol an elevate liver enzymes too. It sounds like you have gallbladder problems too which result in a perfect  "liver enzyme storm".

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Bearz
on 3/22/15 3:48 am

Thanks for all the help its so nice that everyone is willing to help thanks again.

Valerie G.
on 3/22/15 9:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Insist that they remove the gallbladder.  It won't get better.  You're lucky you made it this long.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active