Revision surgery tomorrow - Nervous!! Questions?

jackfre
on 3/25/15 10:37 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

My biggest fear in not waking up....

How long did your revision surgery take?  I think the length of time under anesthesia scares me the most..

Was the pain worst with the revision?

How long were you in the hospital?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for you input, this site offers the best support I could ask for..  I really appreciate it.

Jackie

donnamy3sons
on 3/25/15 5:22 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

i think my surgery was only and hour and a half maybe....the pain was definately worse than the lap band, but not unbearable. dont be afraid to take pain meds to keep pain under control. only took pain meds 4-5 days max. being up moving was the best advice I received. I felt so much better up walking than laying in bed. I was in the hospital 2 days, day after surgery had the leak test where you swallow nasty tasting stuff then I started on liquids. you will do fine good luck!

fran67
on 3/25/15 11:32 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I didn't have a revision so I personally don't know. However, a friend of mine just did (not with Nusbaum though) and was in the hospital 2 days and said pain was pretty bad but manageable with meds.

We all have different thresholds so it might be easier for you. I had such gas pains for 5 days that I never even noticed any pain from the actual surgery. But others don't have the gas problems so you never know.

You have a great doctor so I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

spuddzy
on 3/26/15 12:18 am - NY

I had my revision done dec.2014. was in 3 days and the surgery time approx. 1 to 2 hrs. Didn't experience too much pain but what I had was wrenching from empty stomach and not being allowed anything not even ice chips until the next day to have the test for leaks...and yes that stuff you had to swallow was just awful. I didn't get nauseous after coming out of recovery it was late that night..once I started with liguids I recouped pretty fast and went home 3rd day. I had no gas like I did with the band..the band surgery was painful and gas everything..so glad after 4 yrs. its gone. Don't worry you'll be fine and will be so happy with results...I have a great surgeon. I lost 51 lbs. already much more than the band and can eat anything without food getting stuck or paying for fills...Good luck!!!

spuddzy

psychoticparrot
on 3/26/15 2:11 am

I forget what the doctor said about the surgery time; I think it was about an hour longer than a sleeve-only surgery. No problems with anesthesia. I woke up easily and quickly. I was fortunate in that I had very little pain, just a bit of soreness at incision sites. I was in the hospital 2 days, a day longer than sleeve surgery patients, due in part to the more extensive surgery and my age -- 63.

Suggestions: Read as much as you can about the surgery and continue to ask questions about anything that bothers you. Your surgeon and his team will also help you with your concerns.

psychoticparrot 

ABair
on 3/26/15 3:02 am
VSG on 01/14/15

I don't really know what revision surgery is, but I has a VSG and my doc said 1.5 to 2.0 hours.  I did not have any real pain a little when moving but that was about it.  Surgery on a Wednesday and I was home on Friday.  Best thing I ever did for me!  Surgery was 1/14/15 and down 53lbs since surgery.  You do fine.

Lisa 

LngRedRose
on 4/1/15 2:08 am

What kind of revision?  I am in the "iffy" stage right now... I have VSG.

Most Active