what should my stomach be feeling like now?

Kara D.
on 4/7/15 11:00 pm
VSG on 03/02/15

I am 6 days post-op and I'm not sure what I should be feeling when I eat, or drink as the case is right now. Is the weird feeling below my sternum from my stomach? It's not really a pain as much as an annoyance during and after eating. 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Tracy D.
on 4/8/15 12:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

That's where your stomach actually is located.  I always thought my tummy was much lower down, where my intestines are.  But my doctor told me the tummy is actually right underneath the heart.  So the weird feeling is your stomach.  Pay attention to whatever it is it's telling you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kara D.
on 4/8/15 12:27 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I'm like you, I thought my stomach was lower also. It's good to know that what I am feeling is normal and from my stomach. When I first had liquids that weren't just clear, I had sharp pains briefly. I thought it was just surgery related. Those have gone away since I have been drinking much smaller sips and slowed down the time between them. Thank you for the advice.

Tracy D.
on 4/8/15 12:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yup - be very careful about taking teeny tiny sips and not inhaling air when you drink liquids.  The feeling may intensity you start solid food.  Make sure to take very small bites and chew, chew, chew! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 4/8/15 12:13 am

Measure about an inch above the incision below your sternum. That is where your new stomach begins. So, yes, the weird feeling is from your stomach. That annoying sensation is your sleeve telling you that it's working and when to stop eating. I assume you're still on liquids at 6 days post-op? When you start eating more solid foods, that sensation will come in very handy as your signal that the sleeve is full. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Scott S.
on 4/8/15 1:36 am - TX

Probably your stomach.  One week out, you may feel little gas bubbles that can cause a weird feeling.  For me, I also had the doctor place one stitch for a hernia there, so if you had that, it could be the case.

Sip, Sip, Sip!  Congrats and keep going!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Hislady
on 4/8/15 5:46 am - Vancouver, WA

Also remember that the nerves around your stomach have been cut and may not be telling you correctly what is going on. In simple terms, it LIES! You may think you feel hungry but it can actually be acid. or it may not "feel" full but is. So remember to always weigh and measure your food so you know you are not eating too much. While it is talking to you it may be telling tales at the same time!

poplargreys
on 4/8/15 6:00 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I had surgery on 3/31 so I'm just a bit ahead of you. I have yet to finish a full portion of anything that I serve myself each meal, because I am TERRIFIED of overstuffing myself and stop at the first little twinge of anything in my stomach. I still haven't gotten used to the new signals it sends my brain, although I definitely can tell when it's totally empty or rumbly with excess acid, as that feels just like the old stomach's hunger pangs. If I take too large a drink of water (I have yet to take too large a bite, again because I'm probably being way overcautious) I feel a kind of heavy, dull ache right below my ribs for a few seconds until things settle, so I'm guessing that's what my new 'full' feels like.

Kara D.
on 4/8/15 9:52 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I've decided the dull ache is a signal I am too full also. If I wait a few minutes, especially if I'm drinking water it goes away quickly and I can take another small sip. When it doesn't go away in a few minutes is when I quit, I must be full. It's so hard when I still want a drink of water or something.

I worry about over filling my new stomach and take small sips of anything. I just sip and wait for time to pass and do it again. How are you doing on getting your protein in? I'm having trouble getting to 60 grams, I'm getting better but it's still hard.

poplargreys
on 4/8/15 11:20 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I'm averaging 60-65 grams a day, and I've only had to 'supplement' with a shake two days so far. Five more days on full liquids before I can start soft foods, yay!

Most Active