NEED SUGGESTIONS

psren13
on 4/9/15 8:10 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15
Finally bm today (been 4/5 days) so feeling a little less bloated. (I know TMI) I'm keeping carbs down to 40, barely meeting 60 of protein, and at least 45 to 60 of water which I know is not enough.  Weight is not going too far right now.   Food seems to be staying in my stomach an awful long time.  I get the full feeling and it lasts and lasts.  I cannot eat for at least 6 hours and drinking is tough.  Having a problem with trying to cook for me and Elizabeth, my 10 year old granddaughter that lives with me. Her mom is here usually on weekends only.  I need to cook nutritious meals for her and something that I can eat also without having much leftovers.  Don't have much freezer space for leftovers.  Need to start shopping differently I guess.  Any suggestions?  I know there are a lot of you single people out there who have had the problem of cooking nutritiously for one so what did/have you done?  

Lionetta
on 4/9/15 11:27 am - AZ

I deliberately cook several portions at once and freeze left overs (single-serving amounts) in zip lock bags. I lay them flat when they're freezing, so they stack and take up far less room than using containers. 

I don't have to cook as often doing it this way, and there's always something nutritious in the freezer that can be thawed in the microwave for a quick meal. I like variety, and this helps keep me on track.

Good luck!!

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

Mary Gee
on 4/9/15 8:35 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Congratulations on your surgery -- sounds like you are doing well.  

Many people suffer from constipation - they use Benefiber or Miralax.  Give your surgeon a call about it.  Also, do your best to get more liquids in.  I always have hot tea by my side -- I get most of my liquids in by drinking tea.

With regard to cooking, it's not easy changing after cooking one way for so many years.  I shop differently and cook differently now, for sure.  One thing I do is plan my menu ahead of time. I'd suggest trying to plan a week ahead -- that way you can avoid waste.  I buy a rotisserie chicken and eat that hot (it's very moist) and use it for chicken salad too.  I also boil a dozen eggs, and buy cheese sticks/wedges for lunch.  I cook for myself and my very fussy "significant other". What I've started doing recently is making foil packet meals for each of us.  In mine, I put my protein (fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc.) and some veggies -- and in his, I add potatoes or rice. Also, I just found some recipes for one-pot dinners (whi*****lude ground beef or sausage or chicken, crushed tomatoes and pasta, and cheese -- they are like hamburger helper meals, all cooked at the same time in one pot) which I'm going to try so I can make it and freeze them for SO, and then eat my own meal.  We don't always eat the same meals.

It takes time to adjust.  For a long time I was eating the same thing every day, but now I'm making the effort to vary my meals.  I don't have much freezer space either, but I find I can store more if I freeze things in freezer bags rather than the store's packaging.

Again, good luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Farmersdaughter2
on 4/10/15 12:06 am
VSG on 12/15/14

I am single so I also cook in small amounts and freeze portions.  I measure and weigh food in 3 oz portions and put in ziplock freezer bags. I like to buy frozen meats that are vacuum packed in single servings like fish and chicken.  Carbs can be added for your granddaughter while you stick with the meat & veggies.  

VSG Surgery 12/15/14      HW 247,  SW 212, CW 163

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 4/10/15 10:52 am
VSG on 03/16/15

I do like the last poster, I buy individual serving packaged frozen fish and meat. So I can pull out 1 or 8 or however me and my family need. Then I do the vegetables the same way. Then you can cook small amounts of a starch for her or microwave a potato or something.  Good luck. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Most Active