Becoming obsessive over weight/body image issues

Carolyn W.
on 4/30/15 5:49 am

Hi everyone,

All throughout my life I've had depression/anxiety. Last year leading up to my surgery I was extremely happy and doing really well. I was also on an anxiety medicine that seemed to help a lot. Even though I was heavy, I was still happy. In September I had my surgery and I stopped taking my anxiety medicine afterwards. Up until February/early March I was doing great. Now all of a sudden I'm really struggling again. I went from 212 pounds down to 125 and I still see myself as really overweight. I'm extremely depressed and so full of anxiety again. I started taking my medicine again but it's not helping. I'm not really sure why I'm having such bad body image problems. If I even gain a pound I start to cry and I'm becoming really obsessive over my weight. Has anyone else struggled with these issues?

GooseGirl
on 4/30/15 6:46 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm no where close to goal so I can't speak to what issues I may have at that time. I did want to give you a big hug and tell you that I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with this. Is it possible other things are going on in your life that you possibly aren't dealing with and that is causing you to focus obsessively on your weight (something you may perceive within your ability to control)? 

Given that you have a history of depression/anxiety I'm assuming you already have a therapist you have worked with in the past. My recommendation would be that you go back to that person or find a new one if you didn't click with that one. You have worked really hard to achieve your success and deserve to be happy and celebrate those successes. Unfortunately sometimes our body chemistry doesn't always play nice. 

By the way, I remember a picture you posted recently and you looked beautiful. Keep fighting this because you are worth it!

BabyBlues79
on 4/30/15 7:05 am
VSG on 05/07/15

Depression and Anxiety are diseases just like many others and should be thought of and treated as such. Knowing this fact helped me to finally seek treatment for my depression and anxiety. I hope you're able to find the help you need to get through this. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/30/15 8:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sadly, depression/anxiety are often lifetime issues. Even if you go off your meds because you feel OK, it's very possible to relapse. It's also possible for meds to lose effectiveness after you've been taking them for a while. I've had several "crap out" on me over the years, and I've had to switch meds and/or change doses.

Have you seen the doctor who prescribed your psych meds recently? Sounds like it's time for a check-in.

Many folks also work with a therapist or counselor after WLS, since there are a LOT of life changes to get used to. Sounds like that might be helpful for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mary B.
on 4/30/15 9:22 am - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I also suffer from depression.  My meds are prescribed by a psychiatrist or her assistant.  If your meds were prescribed by your PCP or some other doctor, I recommend that you see a psychiatrist for your meds.  Sounds like a therapist is also in order.   

I hope you can get this resolved soon.  I know how horrible it is to go through depression without the meds you need. 

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/30/15 9:29 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

After surgery, I stopped taking my depression med, Wellbutrin.  I continued to take my anxiety med, because, well, I knew THAT wasn't going to go away after having life changing surgery.

A year later I became extremely volatile and erratic.  Weight loss was going well, but I was very unsettled.  I decided to go back on Wellbutrin and it has helped me.  I feel much more calm and no overwhelming feelings of depression.

You might want to consider trying a different medicine.  I suggest talking to your doctor who prescribes it and telling them it's not working.  Maybe you need a combination of anxiety and depression meds. 

Have you considered going to support groups or individual therapy?  I do both, and it helps to keep the changes in my life in perspective.  I hope you find something that works for you.  It's not easy  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

frisco
on 4/30/15 11:09 am

I have nothing for you on the body image stuff......

Just major compliments to you on your WL !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

psychoticparrot
on 4/30/15 11:26 am

You need to go back to your psychiatrist to find a med combination that works for you. WLS is not a cure-all for everything that's not going well in your life. I'm not sure why you stopped taking them after the surgery. I did not stop any of my medications after my surgery, whi*****luded antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds. I'm now off some meds that I used to take for physical problems, though, with my PCP's blessing.

As far as body image goes, I can't help you there, although I suspect things will simmer down when you're on the right combination of meds. I'm 63 years old. I just want to be healthy and active again. How I look is pretty far down the list. 

Hope you feel better soon.

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

cappy11448
on 4/30/15 9:24 pm

Hi Carolyn,

It can take a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies.  My NP said our minds lag by about 18 months.  So give it some time for your mind to catch up with reality.

In terms of the depression,  I think there is a high that comes from the weight loss phase that fades once we reach goal.  So I'm not surprised that the depression and anxiety are back.  I hope the meds will kick in and start helping soon.

When I was heavy, I thought that if I could lose weight, everything would be wonderful.  But, of course, we are still human with all the strengths and vulnerabilities, all the struggles and stresses of life.  there is a book by M. Scott Peck called "The Road less Traveled" or "the road less taken"  - can't remember...  but the first line of the book is (and I am paraphrasing) "Life is difficult... Once you realize this it becomes much easier."  He talks about life being a series of struggles and we grow and learn thru overcoming them. 

You are doing great with your weight loss.  I wish you every happiness.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

dvolumptious1
on 4/30/15 10:25 pm

I have sufferred from the same issues but I am back on my meds and strangely I feel like they might not be working as well for me too. I see my dr next month so we'll just have to tweak my dosage or add another medication. I weigh obssesively on the scale atleast 2-4 times a day. I will get up there and literally five minutes later I'm back on if I use the bathroom to see if it made a difference. I've gone from 243 to 141 and I still think I'm fat at 5' 5 I only need to be 150. I thought losing the weight would help me get over weight issues and body image issues but its only made me more conscious and paranoid. I work out alot more and it seems like the # on the scale is never small enough bc I'm scared its too close to 150.

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views