chocolate pie

TeressaJ
on 4/30/15 11:16 am

Warning, this is a venting post. I just ate an enormous piece of chocolate pie. I'm even a little nauseous because I'm so full. I've been at my goal weight for a few weeks now so I obviously know what I'm supposed to do but *excuse coming* my 3 grown sons are stressing both my husband and I out right now for different reasons and tonight I tried 'pie medication'. It didn't work. Stress is still there and I'm disgusted with myself. I had this type of 'medication' problem pre surgery but with all the hoops I've jumped through for my Dr and therapist I really thought ... blah blah blah. I think you guys know how this goes. I feel terrible.

Kathy7631
on 4/30/15 11:23 am - Vero Beach, FL

OK, you're done...tomorrow is a new day.Same family, same stress....NO PIE!

psychoticparrot
on 4/30/15 11:40 am

Last week I did the same thing, only with Goldfish crackers. Ate darn near the whole box. I was disgusted too, but this time I kept repeating to myself, "It's just one day; I'll get back on track tomorrow." And for once, it actually worked! So don't feel terrible. But if there's any pie left, pitch it. If the sons object, tell them to get their own pie and eat it away from your house. Tough love -- for you and your sons! 

psychoticparrot 

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 12:07 pm

Hope you at least enjoyed it while you were eating it! Seriously. Not worth eating something like that while feeling guilty.

So, you're not happy you ate it. I get that. Yet, I find absolutely no reason for you to be disgusted with yourself. You did something you have conditioned yourself to do for many years. When we get stressed we revert to what is familiar and brings a level of comfort. What I think you should be celebrating is the fact that in hindsight you are able to understand why you ate the pie and how it made you feel both physically and emotionally.

No one expects you to be perfect (except probably you...because I know I do that to myself...). This was one incident in a week of meals. So, if you look at it as 1 meal in let's say 28 (if you eat 4 times per day), then you're still eating correctly more than 95% of the time. Pretty good if you ask me.

So now that you've vented and been publicly accountable, move on, give yourself a pat on the back for the success you actually had today and continue on your path.

Cheers.

David F.
on 4/30/15 12:58 pm - Henderson, NV

you should have thrown some protein powder in it!

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

psychoticparrot
on 5/1/15 1:45 am

This is me after reading your post, David -- .

If only it were true that protein powder could correct all our mistakes!

psychoticparrot

sleevedin2014
on 5/1/15 3:40 am

TeressaJ
on 4/30/15 12:58 pm

Thank you for the comments.  This is why I have been on this site since before surgery. Help, and comfort, is always just a few keystrokes away. I appreciate your words. 

cappy11448
on 4/30/15 9:00 pm

Hi Teressa,

I'm sorry to hear you are in stress.  Nothing stresses us like worry about our kids.  I've fallen off the wagon on occasion, but I find that if I can get back on plan the next day, it will be ok.  Just as long as you don't let a one-time Chocolate slip become an excuse to give up. 

Don't beat yourself up.  You've got this!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tracy D.
on 5/1/15 12:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Teressa - use this incident as a true learning moment.  You get stressed, you want to "medicate", and that tendency isn't going to go away just because you had surgery and lost all your weight.  

So - how will you relieve stress in the future?  You can't just stop a bad habit without putting something in its place.  So actively work on coping skills/stress relievers that have nothing to do with food.  You might need a couple sessions with a therapist or life coach to work on this.  Or you may be able to think of some things yourself.  

The key is to PRACTICE these new skills so they become a habit.  Whether it's knitting, deep breathing, word puzzles, whatever....it needs to be something that you can fall back on in times of stress when you're not thinking clearly.  Practice it now with little stresses so it comes naturally in times with big stresses.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views