Who consumes more by volume in a single meal a year post-op: VSG or RNY?

samanthalc
on 5/24/15 3:23 pm
with

Random question, but I've been searching old forums about quantities folks can eat a year post-op (I'm not even a week out) and am wondering who can actually eat more by volume in a sitting, on average.  (so--all things being equal in terms of the type of food folks are eating: mushies vs mushies, dense protein vs dense protein)?

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience to offer?  (for example where two partners have had WLS and one had RNY and one had VSG...)

The videos of how much people are eating a year post-WLS seem to show folks with RNYs consuming more.  While they do have a smaller pouch by volume than someone who is sleeved, I have been told by two fairly knowledgable folks that they also have a much faster transit time because they no longer have the sphincter muscle at the base of the stomach pouch that VSG folks do. (nothing scientific to back this up, full disclosure.)  

Any thoughts on this?

Gwen M.
on 5/24/15 3:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd imagine that it greatly depends on the person!  Even with the VSG, there is wide variation.  I'm 14 months out and stick to 4 ounces per meal, but there are people who are 6-8 months out who eat 8 ounces.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/24/15 6:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is like asking how many bubbles are in a bar of soap.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/15 4:12 pm, edited 5/24/15 4:13 pm

Hmmm...

I totally understand the question and why you ask it. Yet, it is so terribly difficult to answer because everyone is unique. Let me see if I can answer you in a way that makes sense. I will use only my own experience, so understand that my answer is unique to me (though I think similar to many).

The question you want to know I think is basically this: How much can you eat at a year post surgery?

Here's the deal in my book: how much can I eat and how much I do eat and how much I should eat are three completely different things.

At 3 1/2 years out (almost) I can eat almost 5 full ounces of dry chicken breast. (I actually tested this!)

What I usually choose to eat is 3 to 3 1/2 ounces with a quarter cup of vegetables and a TBS or two of a starch. When I have weighed this usual portion it is about 6 ounces by weight. It is by volume about 1 cup very loosely packed.

I often think that I should eat only 2.5 to 3 ounces of protein at a meal. That amount however, leaves me pretty unsatisfied, which on an emotional level doesn't work for me. I could eat more vegetables, but I really like meat so I have 1/2 an ounce more and that leaves me feeling well sated, but not full.

My surgeon and another surgeon I respect aim for a mature sleeve size of about a cup by volume. My stomach is long, so my surgeon made my sleeve a little tighter so that I wouldn't have too great a capacity once my sleeve was mature.

If I choose to eat "slider foods" I can eat more than 1 cup. Everyone has his or her own slider foods, but they are generally highly refined carb foods - processed crap or baked goods, etc... You can also drink your calories very easily. I am able to "chug" water again - about 4 oz at a time. That means I could drink a lot of calories in a short time.

It is typical to have gradually increased capacity at 6 months, 9 months, 12 months and sometimes even at 18 months.

You must be aware that everyone is different.And remember, just because you are able to eat a specific amount doesn't mean you need to.

samanthalc
on 5/25/15 10:06 am
with

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully.  This is very helpful!

Chilipepper
on 5/25/15 5:48 am

Is this question because you are wanting the surgery that will allow you to eat more a year you. It doesn't matter how much you eat but what you eat

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Laura in Texas
on 5/25/15 5:55 am

I was wondering the same thing- sounds like a pre-op question, but I think she has already had the sleeve. I wonder if a loved one had RNY and she is comparing herself to him/her??

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 5/25/15 6:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm used to saying "Mine is bigger than yours." Are we not doing that anymore?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

samanthalc
on 5/25/15 10:13 am
with

Hi Laura,  

Your hunch is close.  A neighbor had RNY and we have shared many meals together. We're same height and gender.  She is in maintenance mode, and almost two years out; I'm trying to figure out if the meal volume she consumes is comparable to what I should expect for me. 

Another reason I ask is because there are lots of "what and how much I'm eating" videos for veteran WLS folks on youtube, but they all seem to be for RNY folks.  Far fewer sleeve folks.  Just trying to get a sense.

Laura in Texas
on 5/25/15 12:50 pm

Thanks for sharing. I was curious. I had RNY and have many friends who have had the sleeve (we all had surgery around 2008). When we go out to eat, we eat around the same amount. Not sure who CAN eat more because I usually box up half my meal. I will say I can eat a lot when I want to.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views