Food and protein suggestions

Tjlpnny
on 6/15/15 7:10 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Hi Everyone,

I am headed out today to do some food and supplement shopping. I am starting the puréed/soft diet. I would love recommendations on good tasting protein powders and shakes. I have been using EAS Advantedge Carb Control. I am having a hard time getting them down, they are very sweet/thick. My biggest concern is finding good protein supplements to meet my goals and also to find some yummy food/drink ideas. I appreciate all your advice,tips and wisdom. Have a great day. Theresa

Luvmygs
on 6/15/15 7:35 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Theresa, I'm 6 months post-op and have gone through SO MANY protein powders. I finally found one I REALLY like. Its called Magnum Quattro, whey isolate Vanilla Ice Cream, $40 for 2lb container. Good luck searching.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/15/15 8:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I like the Syntrax Nectar powder. It's not thick and milkshake-like, like the chocolate and vanilla stuff-- the consistency is more like Crystal Light. I get the fuzzy navel flavor and mix it with orange Crystal Light, and the strawberry-kiwi is pretty good on its own.

Unflavored protein powder is good once you're on the puree stage. I added it to cream of chicken soup, which is already so thick that the texture change wasn't too noticeable.

Everybody's taste is different on protein powders. If you have a vitamin store nearby, they often sell single-serving packets of different kinds, that way you can try a bunch without buying enormous tubs!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

samanthalc
on 6/15/15 9:13 am
with

How do you mix the Nectar powder?  I find I can never fully mix it without clumps and I've just about given up on it :(

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/15/15 9:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I use a shaker bottle, and I have to add the powder in several batches. It gets clumpy if I go all at once, but if I add part of the powder, shake, and repeat, it seems to blend a bit better.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Bufflehead
on 6/15/15 10:23 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I use an immersion blender and I've had no problems with clumps or foam with Syntrax Nectar or any other protein powder.

Mary Gee
on 6/15/15 9:18 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I used to blend my protein shakes - thought it would make them "thick and creamy" - instead, I got "foamy"  UGH!  Now I use a shaker bottle instead.  The shakes get a little thick, with no foam.  Much better.  I ordered sample sizes from nashuanutrition.com.  Gave me a chance to try lots of different brands/flavors.

Also, Eggface has a lot of protein recipes - her Ricotta Bake is delicious.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 6/15/15 11:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My favorite is Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate which I mix with unsweetened almond milk.  I find it to be a darker chocolate than most chocolate shakes so it's not as sweet.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tjlpnny
on 6/15/15 3:30 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Thanks so much for the tips!

grandma_tammy53
on 6/17/15 12:26 pm

I got tired of the sweet protein shakes and tried the Click brand mocha espresso protein shake and its delicious!  Not sweet and its now my morning coffee.  Word of caution tho, each serving has 2 shots of espresso!  I now buy both the regular and decaf versions and do one scoop of each.  That was way too much caffeine for me!  I buy it on Amazon.com.

Most Active