VSG on 6/8.. Feeling lost, need advice

Tjlpnny
on 6/13/15 5:48 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Hi Everyone, 

I hope I am not being too annoying with all my questions, but I am feeling a little lost and the advice has really helped. I had VSG on 6/8 and am currently post op day 5. I am supposed to be on a full liquid diet for days 4-7. My time in the hospital appears to be different than most and I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. My entire 3 day stay in the hospital was in the ICU. I never saw a nutritionist, I never had the measuring cups of water brought to me and was never told anything other than to drink small slow sips all day while awake. I could really use advice on how much full liquid I should be having and how often. Any suggestions on forms of full liquid proteins would be great too.

How do you decide when to stop drinking, to wait to eat? If you have a protein shake, do you stop water/liquid a 1/2hr before and 45 min after or is that fluids.i know I'm not getting any protein, which is probably why I am too exhausted to move. I really haven't advanced past clear liquids. I tried yogurt once, but it did not agree at all.

As you can tell by my rambling, I am a bit of a mess and feeling way off track. I see my surgeon on Monday, but would love to get on the right path before then. I look forward to all your advice, tips and wisdom. Everyone on here has been so helpful and welcoming. I hope to be joining you on the losers bench soon. Thanks again. Theresa

Glastongirl
on 6/13/15 6:08 pm

They told me the goal was 64 oz fluid and 60 grams of protein per day. The protein drink you can include in your liquid count. I had 2 Pure Protein drinks per day @ 35 grams each = 70 grams protein. They were 11 oz each so that counted for 22 oz of fluid. I also had numerous 12 mugs of chicken or beef broth, tea, or sugar free hot chocolate for more fluids. You don't have to wait between other fluids and protein drinks. Also important is having two chewable multivitamins - one in the morning one in the afternoon for better absorption. 

Glastongirl
on 6/13/15 6:09 pm

That should have read 12 oz mugs. Sorry. 

Tjlpnny
on 6/13/15 6:19 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Thank you. I am going to try some protein shakes to get my protein in. I think I am going to get some powder too. Any suggestions on brand? I have the EAS Advantedge Carb Control, but I find them very sweet and thick.

Stacy_WLS
on 6/13/15 6:24 pm

Why were you in ICU?

Did you surgeon not give you any instructions? 

Did you understand the surgery and post op requirements before having surgery? 

Standards are 64 oz of water, 60 grams of protein.  I'd find a doctor immediately to work with you.  You should have a plan and someone with medical training to provide some information.  

I hope you feel better soon.  Do all you can to stay hydrated.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Tjlpnny
on 6/13/15 7:53 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

I was in the ICU for kidney failure and critical high blood pressure. 

He gave me basic discharge of how many days cl liq, full liq, puréed and solid. Doesn't say how often I should be trying to eat and what amounts. It does say to aim for 64oz fluid and 60-70gr protein. 

I did/do understand the surgery and post op before having the surgery. I have a very complicated health history. I spent a yr working with a different Bariatric surgeon, had lost required weight and completed all requirements and my kidney failed again. My other drs felt I should have the surgery ASAP, but had to be at a special facility to meet my high risk health needs. Long story short, they found me a new surgeon, fast tracked me through. Because I had already met requirements, they set a date hoping to save my kidney. I only saw his nut once and his post op diet is very different from my previous dr. I plan to see his nutritionist on Monday to get a better sense of what I should be doing nutritionally. I just thought I could get some advice on food, protein, et****il then. Since surgery I really have had only water, unsweetened decaf tea, sips of broth and sugar free jello. I tried yogurt and protein shake which both made me nauseous. I'm weak, thirsty, not really hungry at all but know I need to start getting protein, to get stronger, just not sure where to start.

Thanks for your response.

Glastongirl
on 6/13/15 6:27 pm

The only one I found that I could stand were cans of Pure a Protein banana flavored. Make sure you chill the protein drinks because they will taste better. 

Mary B.
on 6/13/15 6:51 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I think we all started out with lots of questions and asked about them here.  Some of us have been fortunate to have a good nutritionist, sometimes at the doctor's office.  My NUT gave me specific examples of what I could and couldn't have at each stage of recovery.  I move on to all foods next week!  

But I digress...You need to get at least 64 oz. of liquid each day.  I was able to drink at least a quarter of a cup at a time right after surgery.  I don't know if that's common.  Protein powders or pre-made shakes are the main source of your protein at this point.  You can get the powders at GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, other stores in your area and on Amazon, Unjury.com and some other sites.  Premier Protein shakes are very good and available at Costco, Walmart and Sam's Club.  Your doctor will have to answer your questions about drinking before and after eating.  Each doctor has his own plan.

I hope that helps some.   Keep us posted.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Tjlpnny
on 6/13/15 8:04 pm - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

I think I will have to look for a better nut to work with as the nut in his office has been of no help. I am currently supposed to be on full liquids. Not clear if I am supposed to have the full liquid options, in addition to my 64 oz of liquids or if the 64 oz is the total for the day? At this point I am no where near 64oz. I sip constantly but get a lot of pain, pressure and gas (burps). Tomorrow I plan to try to start the day with a protein shake and just sip until it is gone. Up until now, I have not taken in any protein, so I will make it my new priority. Have you tried different brands? Maybe there is one that is a little thinner and not so sickly sweet? I have not yet tried the premier protein, so I will get them tomorrow. Thank you so much for your advice. Theresa

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/13/15 8:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you need a guide, "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is fabulous!

To hit some of your questions:

- If you are switching types of fluids (shake vs water), you don't need to wait; that's only between fluid and solid food.

- I think I had between 1/4 and 1/2 cup full liquids three times a day, though it took the better part of an hour to drink most of it. Good "full liquid" proteins include cream soup with added protein powder, and Greek yogurt without chunks of fruit in it.

Feel free to drop a PM if you have any questions before you see the surgeon, I'll help however I can :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views