2 weeks post op pain question

Tjlpnny
on 6/22/15 9:11 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Hi everyone,

I have a question about a new pain I am having. I am 2 weeks post op today. About four days ago, while getting out of my sons very low car I inexperienced a very sharp pain in my left abdomen. I figured I probably stretched it a little too much. I hurt consistently for about 2 days and now aches on and off. Now for the past few days if I bend down or move the wrong way I get a very sharp pain (feels like I'm being stabbed from the inside out) in my left abdomen. The pain is directly in between the two incisions furthest to the left (the big one and the one furthest to the left). Sometimes it radiates into my back and shoulder. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I had been pain free until that first twinge. Do you think it's just part of the healing or should I be nervous? Trying to decide if I need to call the Dr or if I'm just a worry wart. I am doing great with getting fluids in. Protein and food not as great, but I am def hydrated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Theresa L Jones

Jamie86
on 6/22/15 9:13 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

I personally would call and make an appointment and make sure there is no hernia forming... just to be safe... me personally I would dwell till a Dr told me not to worry LOL 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

mickeymantle
on 6/22/15 9:21 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you probably pulled  STITCH and it will heal in a few days but I would call the surgeon to make shore

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tjlpnny
on 6/22/15 10:01 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Thanks for the advice.

Theresa L Jones

Alison B.
on 6/22/15 4:43 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

My experience was very similar to yours, except the pain was on my right side. I felt sharp pain when I lay down in bed, when I sat up, and when I bent over. Basically anything that required using my abdominal muscles caused a sharp pain that lingered. Coughing and sneezing were nasty, too.

I was worried enough that I called the hospital where I'd had surgery, and got an appointment three days later (I waited until a Friday to call, which was not great timing on my part). In the meantime I was prescribed a muscle relaxant that may have helped, but it also made me very sleepy, so I only took it at night when I knew I was done driving for the day.

During the exam the doc said she couldn't feel any indications of a hernia, but I was given the choice of having a CT scan. I was worried, experiencing pain, and scared that I'd "broken" something. I had the CT.

The CT showed no hernia and nothing appeared broken or damaged. What she did see was something she called stranding, or areas of irritated muscles. All of that cutting and rearranging and use of retractors can irritate/annoy our muscles and cause pain. 

I was so relieved that I'd gone to the doctor and had the scan: it set my mind at ease. 

If you're in pain and you're worried, a phone call and a chat with a health professional can go a long way. I wish you a quick, less painful recovery!

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

Tjlpnny
on 6/23/15 9:06 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Thanks so much for responding. I saw the surgeon this morning and he said something very similar. He said that he felt that I had started to heal and then tore loose some of the healing muscle and tissue. He told me to take my pain meds, added a muscle relaxer, put me in an abdominal binder and said to rest and sleep for the rest of the week. If it's not improving he wants to see me again on Friday. Over the last day or so the pain was so bad, it was causing horrible nausea and vomiting. He thinks that was causing my weakness and fatigue. It's been a bumpy road to start, but I am staying optimistic that it will soon feel worth it. On a positive note, I am down 20 lbs post op and a total of 40 since I started. Thanks again.

Theresa L Jones

Alison B.
on 6/23/15 12:46 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

I'm glad your surgeon took your concerns seriously and was able to fit you in quickly. It does hurt, and it is scary. Here's hoping your nausea, pain, and fatigue disappear soon and let you get about the business of healing  

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

Most Active