11 months post op & hit my goal today! Onward and upward!

ElizaM
on 6/22/15 12:36 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

175lbs was a number I remember feeling pretty good about the last time I was this small, so I set it as my goal. I never dreamed I would get here. At many points on this journey, I would say "I feel good. If I don't lose anymore, that's okay." But I stuck to my knitting and the weight kept coming off. 

To be honest, as cool as it is to hit my goal, I don't really feel like I truly take credit for what the number on the scale does. I do the work, and so I'm proud of myself for the work I do, but I don't directly control what the number on the scale does. I might lose more, or I might now be staring down the barrel of maintenance. My goal now is, as always, to stick to what works for me: a solid routine, a repertoire of excellent food choices, and exercise that I enjoy (for mental health as much as anything). What you eat as matters as much, if not more, than how much you eat.

The two things I am SUPER proud of, much more than the number on the scale, are my awesome experiences from June. First off, we spent two weeks travelling in the UK. We went from Bath, to York, Edinburgh, Lake District, and London. I had planned the entire itinerary and we had saved for over a year to make it happen, and living life to the fullest is the best reward for the weight loss you can ever imagine. 

I used to think that the only reason I wanted to have WLS was to get ready to have children, but now I see how wrong I was. Even if I never planned on getting pregnant, I should have had the surgery because there has been so much in life that wasn't available to me when I was very heavy. I owed to to myself to get the weight off, and life is pretty grand now.

The second major accomplishment was running a half marathon. This was last weekend, and the trauma is slowly receding and pride is surfacing. It was 90+ degrees and I got heat exhaustion, so that part was sort of awful. At the ten mile mark, I called my husband and said I couldn't finish and he had to come find me. But I didn't really have much else to do but limp towards the finish line. And I did make it! I was in tears and running across that finish line was the biggest thrill ever. But I'm never running a half in Philadelphia in June, ever ever ever again. You have to find physical activity that's fun for you! And that was NOT fun! Now I know!

11 months ago, at about 335lbs: 

And today! At 175lbs:

The surgery has been SO worth it. The price I've paid is pocket change in exchange for the amazing life I now get to enjoy. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Tracy D.
on 6/22/15 12:42 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Eliza - what an inspiring post! I think this was my favorite line: "...living life to the fullest is the best reward for the weight loss you can ever imagine."

Congratulations on all the hard work it took to get to goal.  And a HUGE congrats on completing the halfsie 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ElizaM
on 6/22/15 12:46 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Thank you, Tracy! You've been such a wonderful cheerleader. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

frisco
on 6/22/15 5:54 am, edited 6/22/15 5:54 am

I loved reading your post !!!!

Congrats on goal !!!!

You did the work and are now realizing the benefits, save this post and read it yearly !!!!

It's fine tuning from here on out !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ElizaM
on 6/23/15 12:24 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

THANK YOU for all your tips and advice! I will definitely have to remember to reread this. I have so much to look forward to and be grateful for. 

Shel25
on 6/22/15 1:38 pm

Such amazing progress in weight and aspirations.  Congratulations! 

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

BrownEyez
on 6/22/15 1:49 pm

This is very inspiring. While you have met your goal, I am in my genesis and stories like this give me the motivation and strength to keep moving forward and not lose sight of the end goal. Thank you for sharing. 

ElizaM
on 6/23/15 12:25 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Are you pre-op? It's an amazing journey and as long as you stick to your plan, I'm sure you'll do great. It was very, very hard for me to decide to have surgery at all, but I'm so glad I did it. Good luck with your journey.

BrownEyez
on 6/23/15 1:09 pm

Yes I am pre-op and my surgery is scheduled July 9th. I am excited and nervous and also struggling through the PreOp Diet but trying my best to stay focused on the goal ahead. You look absolutely awesome and are definitely an inspiration. I always avoid pictures but I need to take some so that I can truly see the difference through this process

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/22/15 2:16 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You are truly a super  !!!  Congratulations on reaching your goal, your fantastic trip and half marathon.  There is nothing you can't do.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active