Chia seeds for fiber.... Has anyone used them?

ceecart
on 7/8/15 6:25 pm
VSG on 06/23/15

My doctor wants me to increase my fiber.  I'm in the pureed stage- 16 days post op.  Are chia seeds a bad idea to increase fiber?  I asked my nutritionist and she asked me if they turn gelatinous during digestion.... I have no idea.. Has anyone else used them in your yogurt or protein drink?  Thank you for any insight.

cspotrun
on 7/8/15 6:52 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

They do turn to a sort of jelly and they expand.  I'm not sure that would be so good for your brand new tiny tummy.

Karen   

rocky513
on 7/8/15 8:35 pm - WI

It will be VERY difficult to get enough fiber from foods at 16 days out from surgery.  Add a dose Benefiber, twice daily, to your fluids or protein shakes.  It is tasteless and clear ( not thick).  It works wonders!

I would skip the chia seeds until you are further out.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poplargreys
on 7/8/15 9:19 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I wouldn't have dared add any sort of seed when I was in the pureed stage, personally. Even if you soaked them before so that they were already gelled, I'd be worried about the seeds irritating your healing stomach. There are always fiber supplements or gummies that you can use for the time being, you've got your whole life ahead of you to experiment with stuff like chia seeds, I wouldn't risk it now while you're still so fresh out of surgery.

Luvmygs
on 7/9/15 9:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I would wait on the Chia seeds until your stomach heals a little more, maybe in 3-4 months. Ask Valerie about LSA powder that can be purchased at any health food store. Its flaxseed, sunflower seeds and almonds that are ground to a fine powder. Great source of fiber. But, if not sure I'd keep up with your equate and metamucil. I didn't worry too much about my fiber until 6 weeks out. Good to hear that you're feeling good! Chris

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/15 9:22 am

WAY TOO EARLY FOR CHIA SEEDS! You have a staple line that is not yet healed. A chia seed could get stuck in the staple line and fester and make you sick, sick, sick. Blech!

Your doc needs to think about increasing fiber at this stage, too, in my opinion. YThat sounds insane! You're in purees, for goodness sake! I can see adding prune juice or Miralax to help you, but most fibers just bulk you up and make it harder to have a bowel movement.

Once you are farther out  - say a good 4 to 6 months, then add the chia seeds.

ceecart
on 7/9/15 9:26 am
VSG on 06/23/15

Thanks for the feedback... I had the same hesitation thoughts so I will wait until I'm months further out.  

Sheilarae
on 7/10/15 7:16 pm

Miralax

Sheilarae  VSG 12/16/14 by Dr T. Kellogg  Mayo Clinic

HW 352, SW 317,  CW 298.5 (1/4/15)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views