Tooth extraction means NO surgery? MYTH or FACT???

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/14/15 10:22 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I need to have my wisdom teeth removed but someone told me that if I had them done I wouldn't be able to have surgery for at least three months, or more.  I don't remember the WHY of it, but it certainly stuck with me.

Would anyone have any insight as to if this is true or not and why??

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

Hislady
on 7/14/15 10:47 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't know why they would do that doesn't make any sense. I could see maybe having to wait for the extraction area to heal so there isn't infection issues but that wouldn't take 3 mos. I would contact your surgeon and ask if it would be a problem for him.

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/15/15 5:30 am
VSG on 02/08/16

Makes sense.  I will ask! :)

Amber2280
on 7/15/15 12:05 am

Not Sure about the exact timing of the "3 months" but...as a former dental assistant and now a nurse I can say, having your wisdom teeth removed is a pretty major surgery. You are left with open wounds in the mouth that can very easily become infected, the jaw bone many times is exposed if not cut into in the process, and the risk for significant infection is high. It takes quite a while for that tissue to fully heal and for the wounds to be completely closed. That is more than likely the reason someone told you about the potential delay to your VSG.

DEFINITELY call and discuss it with your surgeon before going forward with the extractions. FYI  :)

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/15/15 5:29 am
VSG on 02/08/16

You certainly don't paint a pretty picture, LOL.  I'm already dragging my feet knowing that my insurance only covers the needle and not gas to help with numbing and pain.  I see my surgical intake dr. again in a few days, I can ask him.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

AngelaLynn11
on 7/15/15 6:41 am

I'm having a hysterectomy tomorrow and my WLS said he would do WLS on me a couple weeks later.  My surgeon is top rated in Texas too so I trust what he's saying.  As the surgeon. 

Angela 

~Banded 7/2007, removal and revision needed.

HW 325; Lap-band 2007; LW 225; GW: 150

Amber2280
on 7/15/15 8:53 am

Sorry for the brutal honesty! :) As a medical person I tend to be pretty straight forward with risks etc. I forget sometimes that it can come off blunt or scary! 

Many thousands of people have wisdom teeth extracted without major complications, but the reality is that it has the potential for problems. The main problem arises from the fact that the wounds are in the mouth and are being exposed to bacteria and food particles etc constantly. It just creates an environment that has a little more risk than that of a hysterectomy or other "closed" surgery. 

Amber   

"I was born to be a nurse; to comfort, to aid, to save, to teach, to inspire.

It's My Calling, My Passion, My World...It's My Life!"  

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/16/15 7:20 am
VSG on 02/08/16

No, thank you for your honesty.  I was just giving you crap, lol  I am a shoot from the hip type too.  NO worries!!  I hate needles and any procedures, but I know there are a lot of hoops to jump through leading up to and after the surgery.

Thanks for adding your wisdom here...I did ask!! :)

Mathew M.
on 7/15/15 10:53 am

Ask your surgeon, but it shouldn't.

I had major dental surgery 1 week before my vsg.  Both my dentist and surgeon said no problem.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/16/15 7:21 am
VSG on 02/08/16

thanks!!! :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views